Menu

Chores -- need help please!

I have a 7 yo and a 4 yo who have never really been responsible for chores. Now they are both required to help out when asked, but they have no real responsibilities of their own. I would like to change this and I need help!

I have looked at various chore systems in the past and my biggest problem is that I am overwhelmed at all of the options. Not just the system for tracking chores, but do I pay per chore or not (I like Dave Ramsey so I tend to lean toward paying) and how do I even determine who should do what chore ( how much is enough?).

Also I work three days per week, and I honestly feel like I am doing good those mornings to get us all out of the house with our teeth brushed! I'm not sure how I would fit chores in (maybe the evenings instead?).

My dh works out of town now and I am truly overwhelmed trying to "do it all" on my own. Also I recognize that I am doing my kids a disservice by not teaching them now. I need a very basic system with some ideas on how to implement it. IF you could share what type of chores you feel are reasonable for a 7 & 4 yo, that would be great.

Thanks!

Take a look at the Accountable Kids program (google it). I started using it when mine were 6 and 4, and we're still going strong with it over a year later. It's really versitile, and best of all, the kids are motivated to get their chores done on their own. A few months after we started using it, I was so happy to get up one morning and they'd gotten up and ready before I was even out of bed!

Take a look at the Accountable Kids program (google it). I started using it when mine were 6 and 4, and we're still going strong with it over a year later. It's really versitile, and best of all, the kids are motivated to get their chores done on their own. A few months after we started using it, I was so happy to get up one morning and they'd gotten up and ready before I was even out of bed!

Thank you for the suggestion! I am a bit embarrassed to admit I have the book ( not the system though). It sounds great, but it overwhelms me. Did you buy the system or set it up yourself?

Other suggestions appreciated as well! :)

I think the best thing is start small. Give them personal care "chores" so they feel like they've accomplished something but add in a daily help out.

For my kids:, we do the following

Daily:

- Comb hair

- Brush teeth

- Pick up room

- Make bed

- Dirty clothes in laundry room

Weekly:

Mon - Help with groceries

Tues - Dust Downstairs (ds-living, dd-foyer)

Wed - Bathroom (ds-wipe down tub, dd-wipe down sink, both-put towels by laundry room)

Thurs - Dust Room (Upstairs), Bed linens (strip sheets, help mom put back on when dry)

Fri - Help mom with one chore (summer-outdoor chore, winter-indoor chore)

For personal reasons, I don't pay for chores, but I understand the arguments for connecting chores with payment. The above is expected to be done or they don't get to play outside, inside, or with friends.

ETA: I am right there with them when we do chores. I help them strip beds, dust, pick up, etc. It keeps them under my watch and they know we are working together.

Edited by ErinE

I have two 6 year old boys (Sept and Nov birthdays) and they are required to make their beds in the morning, brush teeth, comb hair, get dressed. They empty all of the various trash cans around the house into the kitchen trash two or three times a week (when I ask). They each have a laundry basket with their name on it and, after I fold their clothes, they have to put them away and put the empty laundry basket back in the laundry room. They also empty the dishwasher for me. I have all plastic-type of plates, bowls and cup/glasses where they can reach them, along with silverware and pots and pans. Anything they can't reach, they put on the counter below that cabinet (so they will know where it goes when they are tall enough:). They also clear their own plate from the table or kitchen island and I am in the process of teaching them to rinse their dishes and put them in the dishwasher. I plan to teach them to clean up a bathroom soon.

When mine were younger and I wanted them to learn to make their own bed, I took the top sheet off so all they had to do was spread up the comforter.