Menu

SOTW question

Guest dianabey4

Guest dianabey4

Hi there,

I just discovered the well trained mind book and I LOVE IT. I am upset because I have been teaching my children for 4 years without it, and feel like I'm behind now. THere are so many things I missed and didn't do.

The big question is any suggestions on how I should deal with the history. I am using the story of the world. I love these books and don't want to rush through them. I began teaching the ancient times (book 1) having the kids write a summary and draw a picture. Should I have my 5th grader outlining and time linings like she suggests in the next stage of learning? Should I wait a year because all this is new to him, and then next year when we are in book 2 start the timeline? HOwever, we will have missed all the stuff from ancient times. My daughter is a grade behind my son. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Diana

I find the Activity Guide very useful, if you don't have that already. It also has some suggestions for library books to read, some of which would be a good supplement because your children are older. Do you have a good library in your area? I might do the timeline with both at that age, but I think you can jump into outlining or not depending on their writing/comprehension ability. He'll get a lot out of it either way!

I would start the timeline since you might want all four years of that for a sense of completion. But the world won't end if he doesn't start outlining until next year. Since Bauer recommends "one level" outlines for 5th and "two level" (ie., with subpoints) for 6th, perhaps you could do a semester of each.

I love the activity book! I've found many of the recommending readings at my local library. My kids are 8, 6, 3, and 1 so the older two will draw a picture and write a sentence or two about what we read.

I don't see a problem with waiting until next year for more detailed narrations/outlining. :)