Menu

brainstorming teens want to play "Chopped" (food network)

We don't have cable, but while visiting relatives they watched Chopped (sort of like Iron Chef) over and over and want to do it at home. They're young teens and know how to cook somewhat creatively, so that's not a problem. I just can't figure out how to do this in one kitchen without the two of them seeing each other. Back to back at separate counters? Only one stove. Honor system not to look. What do you think? Has anyone done this? I think it would be a lot of fun to do during this Christmas break.

edited to add: What ingredients would you provide?

Edited by love2read

In the Chopped kitchen the chefs can see what the others are doing, though they do get their own stove, oven, counter space. But they share the pantry except for their ingredient basket. I would designate a counter space for each, with separate utensils (since each chef would have their own set of knives with them). Are your stove burners the same size that you could just divide them--right burners for one, left for the other? If not, maybe you could limit them to one burner each?

I think you'll have great fun deciding on wacky ingredient combinations to challenge them with. Enjoy--and let us know how it goes!

Really! I didn't know they could see each other. Maybe I need to watch a few episodes online and pay closer attention since I was visiting more than watching when it was on. I wonder if they have the episodes online.

Yes, those of you that watch it please make suggestions about ingredients and how I should carry this out. I'm so excited, they've been asking to do this and are starting to get bored with their break :)

No idea on the cooking strategy, but just wanted to say my dc have been watching Cake Boss on netflix and now they're all talking with New York accents.

I think I'd rather have them watch your show and get them cooking :tongue_smilie:.

That would be New Jersey. :D

(I watch so much BBC-A that I think in English.)