Menu

TWTM and reading

thesmileofGod

I have a copy of the well trained mind but have lent it to a friend so I thought I'd ask here. I am curious about what the recommendations are for early reading. I just ordered OPGTR and want to know what else I need to go along with it. I am asking in regard to dd4 who will be 5 in March. I have two older girls who are readers but I didn't follow TWTM during their early years and really want to do it right this time. My dd has expressed frustration over not being able to read somethings for herself, board game rules for example, so I thought it must be time to start reading instruction. I have read TWTM, and many other things, and it is all swimming around in my head together. Thanks, Gina

We used ETC and OPGTR and my dd 5 is reading really really well right now. She is currently reading the Magic Treehouse books by herself.

Once my dd knew all her alphabet sounds we started out in OPGTR and added ETC in very shortly thereafter.

Also, LOTS and LOTS of trips to the library to let her pick out whatever interests her (within reason of course). We try to go to the library once or twice a week.