Menu

iPod Touches for kids...HELP!

Both of my kids received iPod Touches for Christmas. I am trying to figure out how to set them up in iTunes. I know that they can't have their own accounts, as they are both minors. But they don't really want to share apps, music, etc. Also, they have both received iTunes gift cards and they would like to keep them separate. How in the world do I do this???

FWIW, it's really easy to decide what to sync onto the iPods, so even if they both are syncing to the same computer and the same iTunes account they don't have to have the other person's music on their own iPod.

You'll likely find that there are a ton of apps that they will both want to have so paying for those twice is costly and inconvenient. The neat thing about iTunes is that each child can benefit from all of the apps purchased but the app is also completely separate - so if one child is playing a game on her iPod and gets to a certain level her info is saved on her iPod and is not shared with the other child.

As a parent, I find it easy to navigate through one iTunes account when I'm loading educational movies, audiobooks, and music to the kids' iPods. I tend to purchase things that I want all of them to be able to benefit from, so only having to pay for it once and then being able to put it on four different devices is great.

The thing is, if they have the same account login, they can share apps. That doesn't mean that every app purchased MUST go on both iPods, BUT if one purchases an app/song/movie/whatever, the other has access to it. In essence, this doubles the amount of $$ they can spend in the app store.

If they really do want separate accounts, they just need different email addresses to use as iTunes logins. Just go to Google and set up a unique gmail account for each of them and they are good to go!

so if one child is playing a game on her iPod and gets to a certain level her info is saved on her iPod and is not shared with the other child.

Actually, what's really cool is that it's saved on iCloud, so even if that child picks up someone else's iPod or got a new one, s/he could pick up the game where it left off. Our 6yo got an iTouch this morning, but he had been playing a specific game on dh's. When he turned it on, saw his favorite game, and saw that it was picking up where he left off, he said, "What?? Santa played on my game??" :lol: Then we explained about iCloud and all was good again.