Menu

I just want to say Hi

So,

Hi! :)

I am just getting started with homeschooling. My DD is 9 (4th grade) and my DS is 5 (K). They are currently in PS...for 2 more days. They will be done at Christmas break, then we'll be moving, and starting homeschooling once we get settled in at the other end.

I've joined a couple other forums, but none of them are as active as this one. This is exactly what I've been looking for! I've already learned so much from reading here and at the other forums. It is wonderful how ready and willing you all are to share your knowledge and experience. As you can tell my by screen name, I'm a little intimidated by this new journey, but I am also very excited. :D

My confession of the day: I have not read The Well Trained Mind...yet. It is on my Amazon wish list, but Christmas and homeschooling kind of jumped up at me around the same time and Christmas comes first on the calendar. We will probably not actually start homeschool until February or March, due to the move and allowing DD a little time to de-school. I will be working with DS on reading, though (Phonics Pathways) because he is so eager to read, and he has already started sight word reading (yuck) in K at school. Anyway, I hope to get TWTM to read on the road - maybe Hubby Claus will get it for me for Christmas. :lol:

Now, I'm off to jump in and start posting on other threads. See ya around!

No, I didn't think that it was a necessity to read. I actually came across a thread poll asking if members had read it and some had not. But, it has been on my wishlist for a few weeks now, and I only found the forum within the past couple of days. :) I was mostly just being silly. I'm in that kind of mood this evening for some reason.

Welcome!

I actually checked out The Well-Trained Mind several times before I bought it. It's one of those books I go back and re-read several times. (But when you do read it, don't get intimidated by the schedules...I actually don't know anyone that follows the schedules exactly. :001_smile:)

Thanks for the tip. I plan to mostly "do my own thing" (find what works for us) as far as scheduling and curriculum but I am a researcher and reader, so I want to read it for reference.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Hello and welcome! I think you are very wise to let your dc have some time before jumping into school work.

Some advice, although you didn't ask for it:

Use your downtime to establish your basic routines if you don't already have them. Getting up at a certain time and getting ready for the day, lunch time and bedtime routines.

Your dc are little but go ahead and implement routines for them to help you with the housework and laundry. As they get older and your academic workload becomes heavier you will appreciate that everyone works together to maintain the house.

If you have any behavior issues try to get them under control now. I'm talking about your's or your dc's. There is nothing more difficult that trying to homeschool with attitudes getting in the way.

Work on an "easy on you during the week" dinner menu.

Those are my biggies. Of coarse if you are a toss the routine out the window fly by the seat of your pants type person then disregard all of the above, take a deep breath and jump in!

Either way don't let the curricula rule your day, have fun, keep it basic (reading, writing, math) to start with and add the content stuff (history, science, art, music, foreign language) in a little at a time. Oh, and don't stay up all night reading posts from here...you won't be able to teach the next day.:tongue_smilie:

Hello and welcome! I think you are very wise to let your dc have some time before jumping into school work.

Some advice, although you didn't ask for it:

Use your downtime to establish your basic routines if you don't already have them. Getting up at a certain time and getting ready for the day, lunch time and bedtime routines.

Your dc are little but go ahead and implement routines for them to help you with the housework and laundry. As they get older and your academic workload becomes heavier you will appreciate that everyone works together to maintain the house.

If you have any behavior issues try to get them under control now. I'm talking about your's or your dc's. There is nothing more difficult that trying to homeschool with attitudes getting in the way.

Work on an "easy on you during the week" dinner menu.

Those are my biggies. Of coarse if you are a toss the routine out the window fly by the seat of your pants type person then disregard all of the above, take a deep breath and jump in!

Either way don't let the curricula rule your day, have fun, keep it basic (reading, writing, math) to start with and add the content stuff (history, science, art, music, foreign language) in a little at a time. Oh, and don't stay up all night reading posts from here...you won't be able to teach the next day.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the advice. :bigear:

LOL, ummm, were you looking in my bedroom window last night? :blushing: I was totally up way too late reading on here and curriculum webpages.

As for the rest of it, you have pretty much read my mind! We do have attitude issues around here. I think a lot of it is from DD missing us, though. I hope that some of it will straighten out just by getting to spend more time with us, without any pressure to get homework done, etc. The longer she is in school, the worse it gets. She used to be the SWEETEST kid ever.

My main "curriculum" to start with is going to be "We Choose Virtues" and "Home Ec/How to be a Productive Human 101". (Household chores without nagging from Mom and Dad, personal hygiene without nagging from Mom). Both kids are well mannered when it comes to saying please and thank you, but their actions (interrupting, being loud, impatient)can use some work. DH and I can use some work, too - probably more than the kids if I'm going to be totally honest!!!

After we've got a good start on that, then we'll move on to the 3 R's, and maybe an occasional unit study to finish out this school year. I'll add the other stuff in next year.