Menu

A Beka Algebra 1 Questions

Does anyone use A Beka Algebra 1?

Was your DC well prepared for math in the long run?

I intended to use the A Beka books through high school

because they have so many problems I was sure DC would

get lots of practice.

But...I hardly ever hear anyone mention it on these forums.

Mostly I hear about Saxon, AoPS, LoF, MUS, TT, Singapore, CLE,

and others...but never A Beka.

I am wondering if maybe it doesn't prepare you properly for

what comes next/ for high school/for college/for SAT ???

I respect the opinions of people on these forums so---

Thoughts please?

I tutor math students -- public school, private school, and homeschool. I have promised myself that I will never again tutor a student using Abeka high school level math textbooks. I REALLY dislike them, and it's not worth the aggravation to me.

On the other hand,

I have a friend who used nothing but Abeka texts for every subject with her three sons from K thru high school graduation. The oldest two are in college and doing EXTREMELY well. One is a Chemistry major and the other is a Mechanical Engineering major. So there must be something good about them.

ABeka created their own products for K-Pre-Algebra in Math. The did NOT create their high school math series- they are reprints of Heath Mathematics 1914 (yes-almost 100 years old!) editions.

There is a serious lack of instruction in the program. The TE is the same as the student text but with answers filled in.

There are a few concepts that are lacking (point-slope form in linear equations--etc..)

The ABeka Geometry is the absolute WORST Math text I've ever had to teach from.

I had to supplement most lessons... This program is inexpensive--and for a reason. There are so many other programs that provide a good foundation for high school maths!

I questioned ABeka about the poor quality of the high school math texts once-- their reply was that they saw a need for a 'Christian' publisher to produce high school math texts so they purchased the rights to an out of print series and put their cover on it... now people can feel good about purchasing from and supporting a 'Christian' publisher-- forget about the ho-hum education this program provides to the students!

--

I'm not anti-ABeka... when my children were little we happily used ABeka materials (for some subjects and one dd used it for Math one year---level 3).