Menu

Has anyone used JUST the Key To series?

AimeeM

Has anyone used the Key To... series as their core math? Of course adding in things like negative numbers.

Just wondering. Autumn seems to respond beautifully to the Key To series, gets overwhelmed by the "busyness" of Singapore, did well with CLE - but we would prefer not to purchase from CLE for faith and personal reasons.

I was thinking/flirting with just using Key To and supplementing for things like negative numbers, but I'm not sure where that would leave us when we finish the series...

I tried it. It did not work well. we ended up going back to CLE Math.

FYI, there isn't anything anti-Catholic I have seen in their math. I felt the same after trying some of their other programs but this was the only math that clicks with mine so I will stay with it. Your choice, of course. BJU is another excellent choice, too.

Both BJU and Christian Light Publications are vocal in their anti-Catholic sentiment (I live across from Bob Jones University). Even if their math books aren't anti-Catholic, I cannot support their ministries for this reason.

I understand why you use it, I simply cannot. My husband feels the same. Thank you though. I do wish CLE weren't what it is... lol.

I tried it. It did not work well. we ended up going back to CLE Math.

FYI, there isn't anything anti-Catholic I have seen in their math. I felt the same after trying some of their other programs but this was the only math that clicks with mine so I will stay with it. Your choice, of course. BJU is another excellent choice, too.

At the moment we're using the Key To series exclusively (with some supplementation). While my dd understood fractions, decimals and percents, after going through Horizons I did not feel she understood them well, so I bought some of the books in the Key To series..... After she completed Key To Fractions, she had a complete, solid understanding, so I've been having her work through Decimals and Percents. I REALLY like them. When they teach a concept, they actually give a sensible amount of practice, and what she has learned ties into the next concept she is learning. They've worked beautifully. Now she's almost in the middle of completing the Percents books. When she finishes, for the rest of the year she may try some Singapore challenging word problems, we may delve into Raye's Arithmetic (it intrigues me), or begin a pre-algebra text. I don't plan to use the Key To series exclusively for high school but if she ever doesn't quite get a concept, it will be back to the Key Tos ...... we love them! :001_smile:

I think that would work fine- if you did something for negative numbers then possibly adding in some daily math fact work just to keep skills up (calculadders works VERY well for that and only takes a few minutes a day, less than 5) Next year I plan on doing that but also the first 4 chapters of Lials BCM with dd who will be in 5th. (plus calculadders ;)) I would do a placement test for whatever program you plan to use next but I would assume pre-algebra would be a good next step.

Morning, this is a great way to go for some kids and families. I had a small "family school" made up of mine and their cousins for over 6 years.

I found that for kids who came out of public school at 4th and above, had lack of depth though they had been exposed to concepts, were easily distracted, needed some hands on learning, needed looks of learning done in small bites, lots of white space, got bogged down by having to write everything out on paper, needed tests, needed self-esteem to be bolstered while new to homeschooling, this series is wonderful. :) It filled holes, taught concepts while we adjusted to more demanding math without breaking the bank.

The books are for the most part self teaching. Just have them close to you while working and get the answer keys, it allows you to teach/explain as well as grade without having to grab their book from them. I always get the test books which are blackline masters so a one time investment. I really like that the kids have a book to write in that they can keep. It works really well for the kids who just like to get things done without a lot of discussion and related tie-ins on their pages.

The thing that was the most important was to have variety. While working on the first three books: fractions, decimals, percents I also add in the measurement books. The measurement books have the kids do real life hands on experiments to make the measurement applicable. So a split 3/2 week. I continue on, doing Algebra and geometry at the same time once those are done (fractions/decimals/percents/measurement). Take a look at the geometry it is not proof based and breaks up the continuous calculations. Kids really love getting to use math tools. When they come to proof based geometry later on they approach it without fear as they feel they "have done this already." Not really true but it gets them to approach with confidence.

They need to score 80% to pass a test on each book along the way. When they have finished the 10 books in algebra and geometry I have them go right into Algebra 1 with Teaching Textbooks. Some go through it faster than others but I dont have any gaps or students feeling as if they are not good at math by the end of it all. Some kids have gone on to calculus and others stopped at Algebra 2 after doing 3 years of highschool level math. It all depends on the child, family needs, and budget.

I also use Math Mammoth especially for the word problems and RightStart for games on Fridays or right before a break/vacation when we dont feel like doing much anyway.

HTH

Alicia in New Zealand

Edited by Alicia
better conclusion, spacing

MM is busier than SM. Lol. We printed off several of the free sheets.

Frankly, I'm simply not a fan of the method and the way it teaches (in MM or SM), nor is Autumn. I think we just prefer traditional arithmetic.

I have the books, But I found it most rote calculation. Maybe good for supplement?

Did you look at MM is SM not working out