Menu

I'm losing my mind--How can I retrieve a deleted text message?

I could have sworn I got a text or email from my boss saying I didn't have a particular client on Friday. Turns out I did--but I still have an actual memory of reading the text (or email--pretty sure it was a text)!!

I'm not stupid. It was not a dream.

I crossed off the client from my schedule, and therefore didn't show up on Fri. Now I'm in trouble!

I deleted the messages in my phone inbox and my boss has no record of sending it, either.

Any recourse you can think of?

Depending on the phone company, they may have a record of it on their servers. However, you have to act fast to have any chance of getting the actual content of the message-- IIRC Verizon, for example, only keeps texts around for several days.

However, you can generally request a log of text messages sent and received, showing who sent whom a message and on what time and date. Those can be time-sensitive too, so should be requested ASAP as well. It could help to show that your boss sent you a text message at a particular time.

I'd start by calling customer service. Normal customer service doesn't usually deal with these requests, so if you get a dumb/inexperienced rep you may have to push a bit.