Menu

Sheldon's speller

stripe

In case any fans of Sheldon's PLL are interested, he wrote a Graded Speller

http://books.google.com/books?id=uY8AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Or http://www.archive.org/details/gradedspellerar00shelgoog

I used Reading Reflex to teach reading, so I like the organizational system Sheldon has used, which is by sound.

Anyway I decided to start this thread to make it less likely to get lost, for anyone interested.

He also wrote readers, and it has a teacher's manual, and a manual of elementary instruction in object lessons.

Edited by stripe

Thank you for the links! I am off to check out the Readers on archive.org. :)

You should also post this in the main vintage thread.

BTW I am not sure there there was a specific 'he' involved writing Sheldon's books. I think it was a group of authors.

BTW I am not sure there there was a specific 'he' involved writing Sheldon's books. I think it was a group of authors.

There was an Edward Austin Sheldon (you can see his photo at that link!), and he seemed to have a distinct opinion about instructional methods! However, a lot of these books seem to be group efforts.

I will go add this to the vintage thread; thanks for the idea!

I need to go read his methods book now.

Edited by stripe

Fascinating what was considered a third grade reader back then vs. the readers today! I usually don't like readers but the vintage readers are not like the readers we get these days. Anyway, I opened the third grade reader and Adrian was enjoying it, so I saved it and will be downloading the others also. I thanked you in the other thread but just wanted to say thanks again for always being so willing to share your great finds :)!

Fascinating what was considered a third grade reader back then vs. the readers today!

One possibility is that third graders back then were not 7-8 year olds.

I like that the selections in Sheldon's readers are broken up into numbered paragraphs. However, just from comparing the second and fourth readers with Elson's and Treadwell's readers, I found the stories in the latter texts more interesting.

One possibility is that third graders back then were not 7-8 year olds.

I like that the selections in Sheldon's readers are broken up into numbered paragraphs. However, just from comparing the second and fourth readers with Elson's and Treadwell's readers, I found the stories in the latter texts more interesting.

I really like Treadwell's too. I like that they are real stories.

I like all of them! Thank you ladies! It took a while to find Treadwell's third. I finally found it at Archive.org under Seventh Reader :confused:. Good thing I opened it too because I already had the seventh, but I noticed others listed with incorrect titles and I was really determined to find the only one I was missing, so I opened everything under "Treadwell reader" after typing that in the search engine ;).

Yeah, I once took forever to find them. I posted these links previously

I can't find the manual on Yesterday's Classics' website, but it is on Main Lessons' website (they are connected organizations). You could email the people at Yesterday's Classics and ask.

It's less than 75 pages on Google books.

(There are some sellers selling the manual on Amazon for ~$20. Personally I wouldn't pay that much.)

Incidentally, you can get all the Treadwell/Free readers online up to grade 6 at least. I used them and liked them (and we discussed them in the recent non-babyish readers thread).

From Google Books -- where some are mislabeled --

Reading--literature: the primer

Reading-literature: Book 1

Reading Literature: Second Reader

Reading Literature: Third reader

Reading-literature fourth reader

Reading Literature: Fifth reader (took me forever to find!)

Reading-literature : sixth reader

And the manual -- Primary reading and literature: a manual for teachers

Primer through Year 3 at Main Lesson (nicely formatted for reading off a computer screen).

I was able to get all the Sheldon books with the help of your links through Google books but was unable to get any of the Elson and Treadwell books from them. This was why I went to Archive.org. I use Kindle PC quite a bit these days, so I just added them there :).

ETA: Thanks again!

Edited by Guest

These should give you books 7 and 8 but they have been adapted by Briggs (book 7) and Shryock (book 8) so this is what is written on the cover of the Kindle Editions. Then someone has handwritten Treadwell.

http://www.archive.org/details/readingliteratu01briggoog

http://www.archive.org/details/readingliteratu00shrygoog

I was able to get all the Sheldon books with the help of your links through Google books but was unable to get any of the Elson and Treadwell books from them. This was why I went to Archive.org. I use Kindle PC quite a bit these days, so I just added them there :).

ETA: Thanks again!

Just wanted to link for those who can use google. Glad you found them. :)

Just wanted to link for those who can use google. Glad you found them. :)

Cool :)! The 7 and 8 books from Archive.org (in my previous post), also link back to Google, so this plus your previous links will give those with access to Google, the complete 8 book set :).

ETA: I mean 9, with the Primer.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...