Menu

Encourage your kids to explore their dreams.

I know that much of homeschooling involves finding our children's particular interests and then encouraging that. I just got an email from my ds from his vacation in the Cayman islands with my husband and father. He is having a wonderful and time and told me that after snorkeling today he realized that he can't have an office job but needs to find one that allows him to be outside. I suggested a National Geographic explorer LOL! Anyway, a little less than a year ago we struggled with allowing him to quit a sport that he had played all his life. I see now that this was a good decision for him and that the free time he now has allowed him to explore his dreams and aspirations. He has done so many interesting things this year from learning to surf, camping on his own, joining a band, making his own skateboard, that he wouldn't have had the time to experience if he had stayed with his sport. I am happy for him.

Isn't it wonderful? Your son sounds like he is really enjoying himself, and also finding himself.

My daughter is passionate about Scouts, and recently when my mother dropped in for a weekend on the way back from a remote Kimberleys adventure cruise where she said she had the best holiday of her life feeding sharks and swimming with crocodiles and standing under waterfalls, I realised that that would be my daughter's dream career- working on an adventure cruise boat. She agrees. She is so multi talented, I am sure she will have a go at many things over the years. I do encourage her- both of my kids- to follow their dreams, and even though I give a good academic grounding, I think its more important for them to feel they can take risks and go for their dreams than just feel they need to "get a good job".

Good on you.

That's wonderful! Okay...as a mom with young ones, how do you do that?

My guys are 7yo and 9yo and I feel like I'm always shooting down their ideas for adventure (like hanging from a 20ft tree by an unstable rope, etc.) Plus, we live in the 'burbs so it isn't like we've got land or anything. I think maybe I'm the downer, when I take them on hikes and stuff I'm so afraid they're going to hurt themselves when they play "off trail" or get poison ivy or whatever...how do I let go of that? (Maybe that is a different topic/post, I don't want to hijack yours).

How do you encourage them to find their passions/dreams when the training for that doesn't seem apparent and you are not in anyway capable (perhaps even financially) of providing it?

I'm not trying to be a downer, I guess I'm just revealing some of my frustrations with myself. I certainly want my boys to learn to be more independent and not follow a cookie-cutter life, but am unsure how. And how to let go of my insecurities and fears. :confused:

First, I should admit that I am and always have been a very cautious mother. (My kids call me paranoid.:lol:) When my kids were your kids' ages I was trying to keep them out of danger, too. I remember ds at age 5 or 6 trying to convince his younger sister that they could make parachutes out of paper or plastic bags and jump off of our deck. Thank God I heard their plan. I guess I have usually let them try things they were interested that weren't too dangerous. I think the biggest thing is allowing them time to be creative, which is what homeschooling often does. Homeschooling also provides a great opportunity for them to learn how to learn and discover things on their own. I remember my kids building and making things and engaging in all types of creative play when they were little. As they got older, whenever they wanted a more expensive item or wanted to learn how to do something we encouraged them to research the idea and present their findings to us. If they had a convicing arguement and we could afford it or find a way for them to afford it, we usually went along with it. My ds went back to public school in 8th grade (dd will homeschool all the way through) but he had time this year (sr. year of high school) to explore new things. At this age he had some money and some skill to go about it himself. I admit I was still very nervous when he called up a primitive campground, packed himself up, and travel 4 hours to camp and surf by himself. I am also pretty shocked at surprised at the change in him this year. I would never have guessed that he was an outdoorsy type of guy at all until this year.