Menu

Has anyone used k12 Human Odyssey as a spine for TOG?

I'm actually doing that but I'm not organized enough to have it all scheduled out. :tongue_smilie: I'm using TOG and most of the TOG worksheets/discussions while adding in K12 HO and the Oxford books as the topics come up. I'm also using the K12 student pages as I've found some things in there that I thought were really good. We're doing Y1 and I have a gr5 student doing the D level books and a younger child doing UG (and some LG for more fun reading). I follow TOG's schedule so we read all the core history and literature books from TOG while also adding in K12's book. I don't think we'd be able to answer a lot of the history discussion questions if we subbed out the core history books that TOG lists.

I use TOG's evaluations as well as their Map Aids because I like that it's all done out for me for both levels (LG and D). The only thing I'm not currently using is Writing Aids and that's because dd says she's doing a lot of writing as it is. I use the WTM guidelines for writing in history and this is working well for us.

My oldest flies through the TOG readings and what they have set out for each week only takes her a day or so. :001_huh:

My kids like the hands-on aspect of TOG and I love that the discussions are laid out for me & give me a good place to start. I don't love all the TOG book selections but my kids are really enjoying the K12 book as well as the Oxford series.

I wish I could say I was super organized but I can't, so I don't have a formal schedule. :o I just wanted to share that it can be done and we're having a great time with it. :D

I didn't enjoy TOG on it's own. I felt like I was really missing something with and not finding the "meat" that everyone spoke of. K12 and the Oxford books have really filled that in for us.

Edited by plain jane