Menu

How do I put together a report card/transcript for early elementary?

Sevilla

Although it's not required in my state, I would like to have some documentation already prepared because we are considering a difficult-to-enter program in our public schools in a few years.

Are there template out there? What should I 'grade' since letter grades typically aren't done in early elementary? I keep a list of what curriculum/subjects we cover in each semester but that's it.

Thanks for any help :).

I do this, too. I just make something on Excel. It's very good to document what you're doing. We have no laws in TX about documentation, but I do it anyway. I also keep a portfolio of each student's work (we started homeschooling in MO, so we were supposed to do this there).

I would actually just make a list of skills taught (perhaps look at your state's standards or the common core), then give a narrative (a paragraph or two) about the progress made throughout the year. You could attach a book list and an electronic portfolio as well.

As a teacher, these were always the most practical and meaningful report cards. Who is going to look at a check or check plus in 10 years and know what it meant?

A lot of the schools are moving toward electronic portfolios as well.

For elementary, you want to keep it simple.

You can get single report cards from ABeka, BJUP, and R&S. Just work with them. :-) You can also get an "Academic Record" from BJUP, which is all of elementary, kindergarten through sixth--sort of like a transcript for elementary. This is what I'd probably use.

If you try to enroll your dc in school, don't give TPTB too much information. They can't handle it. :glare: Just have the Academic Record, and any standardized tests results.

You could provide a bibliography of any texts used, but only if they ask you for it.

Oh, and FTR, they will want proof of immunization or a waiver, as well, and they may want a photocopy of your dc's birth certificate.

I have a list divided by skills (reading, math, handwriting) and content (social study type stuff, science, etc.).

For the skill stuff, I try to look through it once every few months and note E for newly emerging skills, or M with the date for mastered. I leave it blank for skills that we haven't started yet.

For the content stuff, I just check it off when/if we cover it.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with all that without a reason - I do it only b/c my kids have had some developmental issues and I don't want to miss something that may need to be addressed by a professional.

To prove giftedness, I would probably just try to do that with standardized testing instead of my records.

Love the previous poster's idea of providing a booklist. That would really give a good idea as to how your child compared to others.

For elementary, you want to keep it simple.

You can get single report cards from ABeka, BJUP, and R&S. Just work with them. :-) You can also get an "Academic Record" from BJUP, which is all of elementary, kindergarten through sixth--sort of like a transcript for elementary. This is what I'd probably use.

If you try to enroll your dc in school, don't give TPTB too much information. They can't handle it. :glare: Just have the Academic Record, and any standardized tests results.

You could provide a bibliography of any texts used, but only if they ask you for it.

Oh, and FTR, they will want proof of immunization or a waiver, as well, and they may want a photocopy of your dc's birth certificate.

:iagree:

It's tempting to want to share a lot of information, but they really don't want to know that much about your homeschooling. They will want a report card/academic record that looks like whatever they use and they will want standardized test scores. Wait and see if they ask for more, but they probably won't.

Don't assume that they don't give grades in early elementary. Most schools do some sort of assessment in early elementary even if it's only checking off skills met. Most actually give grades. If they aren't in the A, B, C, D, F form, then they are often O, G, S, NI. At our local schools they give numbers 1-4 (1:doesn't meet expectations through 4:exceeds expectations). I would try to get a hold of one of their actual report cards, either from the school secretary or from a helpful parent. You want your homemade report card to use the same grading system they use even if it's not identical to theirs.

Make sure your standardized test scores were given by a professional. Most educators know to ask who administered the test and they will consider them less than worthless if they were given by mommy. They just don't trust tests given by parents.

I did some googling and found my district's website where they publish blank copies of each elementary grade's report card and rubric online. I can just print and fill in the info, and then write a few comments at the end for each year. The district will administer the standardized test scores when he takes the test in a few years, so they'll have those records.