Menu

HO Ancients Level 2 & CW Homer - Too Much?

I'm tentatively planning for my (pencil-phobic) oldest to use Level 2 Ancients of History Odyssey along with CW Homer A next year. We'll probably be doing either Classiquest Biology or Elemental Science's Biology for the Logic Stage.

Would those of you who have 'normal' kids think that is too much writing? What about those of you who have pencil-phobic kids like I do?

I will probably be selecting only some of the writing assignments in HO vs. her doing all of them.

What say the Hive?

They are both good programs. I would just chop and change according to your needs. CW Homer has some long models. My dd could handle them (most of the time) but it would be easy to do either only part of the model or choose a different model altogether. Remember it is the skill the student is supposed to be working on and the models are simply the means used to practice it. Just focus on the skill that you are practicing for that level and use whatever works for you.

We have not used CW, but last year in 5th grade ds did HO Ancients Level 2, and also Classical Composition's Narrative. I would guess maybe similar amount of writing as CW? Anyway, I didn't think it was too much. HO ended up being his favorite curriculum - I'm not sure why! He sure doesn't love to write, and will try to keep it as short as he can. Which was why I liked the outlining - he couldn't exactly leave stuff out. Also, Ancients Level 2 really does a lot of hand-holding for the outlining, suggesting topics, etc.

We have not used CW, but last year in 5th grade ds did HO Ancients Level 2, and also Classical Composition's Narrative. I would guess maybe similar amount of writing as CW? Anyway, I didn't think it was too much. HO ended up being his favorite curriculum - I'm not sure why! He sure doesn't love to write, and will try to keep it as short as he can. Which was why I liked the outlining - he couldn't exactly leave stuff out. Also, Ancients Level 2 really does a lot of hand-holding for the outlining, suggesting topics, etc.

My guess is CW has more, because it also covers grammar. So on day 1 you do an outline (supposed to be full sentences, but I allow key word outlines) and analyze each scene (we do the whole model as scenes take too long), then day 2 you are doing parsing tables on 2 sentences, day 3 you are doing the six sentence shuffle, which takes two sentences and changes tense, quantity between singular and plural, do synonym substitution, change sentence types, move clauses...basically you rewrite each sentence 6 times. The the last day you do a rewrite of a smaller piece of the model with a giving focus of just one of the areas covered in the six sentence shuffle.

I wouldn't do both in the same week, but given Homer A has 20 weeks and Homer B has 20 weeks, if yo don't do the poetry you have extra weeks to fill.

Heather