Menu

Thinking about getting a serger...

I'd like to get a serger. It could come in handy so often. What do I need to look for? I borrowed my mil's and hers trimmed as you went. That's nice, but I'd also like to have the option of it not doing that. I don't need top-of-the-line, but I don't want junk, either. What should I buy? I see several on amazon around $200. I have about $300 in the bank that I could use and can wait to save more if i need to.

A good place to start is the forums at patternreview.com - they are really knowledgeable people.

I'm not sure where you're starting - do you have a sewing machine? A serger will not replace a sewing machine. However, you can sew well on a good used singer from the '70's or earlier that has a straight and a zig-zag stitch; a good tuned-up one should be less than $70. That leaves you $ for a serger. You'll want to do your homework, though. A cheap junky machine is not worth your time and will just be frustrating.

Let us know what you'd like to sew and we can help you figure out what to get.

Can you give us a sense of why you'd want to move the cutting edge out of the way? Wouldn't most things you'd edge need a clean edge in order for the overlock to work?

Sometimes I serge cutting off very little, for various reasons, but usually cutting a bit off (even 1/8") makes the whole thing work best.

Maybe I shouldnt? :) I've only used one a few times. Once, I was making cloth all-in-ones for my older girls, and I wanted to be able to serge the edges of the inner extra layers withou cuttin through the top layers. Now that I think about it, I probably could've just serged the extra layers together and the. Sewen them in with the regular machine. This was a few years ago and i was trying to figure it out myself. I don't remember how i ultimately decided to do it.

Anyway, what's a good middle-of-the-line model? Where do I go to find out more about what to get?

Maybe I shouldnt? :) I've only used one a few times. Once, I was making cloth all-in-ones for my older girls, and I wanted to be able to serge the edges of the inner extra layers withou cuttin through the top layers. Now that I think about it, I probably could've just serged the extra layers together and the. Sewen them in with the regular machine. This was a few years ago and i was trying to figure it out myself. I don't remember how i ultimately decided to do it.

Anyway, what's a good middle-of-the-line model? Where do I go to find out more about what to get?

Sometimes when you use a serger you have to reorganize the sewing order to take advantage of the serger. For example, sometimes you have to edge something before you put it together with something else.

When I do basic side-seam pockets, I serge the pockets together before I put them in the garment, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to get to the end of the piece where it's enclosed in the waist seam. Also, I would edge the side seams of the pants or skirt the pocket will be in, before sewing the side seam, because I won't be sewing the whole seam - I'll be leaving a space for the pocket part.

So you have to be a little savvy in figuring that out. Sounds like with the diapers it would be a 'serge first" thing.

I even do things like sew one side seam of a skirt, leave the other one unsewn, serge around the hem (not to hem it or anything, just to edge it), then sew up the other side seam. It's easier to edge the hem when flat than if it's already sewn in a circle. Then I use the serging as a guide to turn up the hem twice, and I topstitch it down. The serging part doesn't even get seen, but it makes hemming so easy that it's worth it.

Sometime the serged version is pretty much the same with a bit of serging here and there, and sometimes you have to completely re-work the order of sewing. I draw little diagrams, and save them for the next time I"m making something similar.

Palmer & Plesch have a bunch of books out about serging, which can teach you the basics of this stuff.