Menu

s/o If they won't eat...

I have a very picky eater (after two "normal" picky eaters) - his is sensory. (and as frustrating as he is, I have made "special" things for him, because he WON'T eat it if given a choice of eating it or starving. He'll starve. *skinny* jeans were big on him. as least my other picky eaters were willing to at least have a bite to taste it.)

I was a picky eater growing up (probably sensory) - eventually as an adult I ate foods that I only mildly objected to. some foods, it was only in certain forms I objected to them. Now, I don't eat food I object to - why should I? I'll eat something else.

the idea "they'll eat if they are hunbgery" does not apply to SN kids or kids with eating issues or sensory issues -- HUGS - same here, my son will starve himself if not given the very limited foods he eats. fact of life. most without kids like that do not get it, or bleive it, i have been yelled at in public that I "made him that vay" and I "Coddle him too much" -- but in the end, he is my kid, i know him and only I can protect his health

Everyone is entitled to have a thing or two they will just not eat, period. I am okay with that.

What I am NOT okay with is turning "I would prefer not to" into "I hate it" - for the sake of a balanced diet we all sometimes eat things we would prefer not to, but we can reasonably tolerate them and they have their place in our diet. In other words, I do not tolerate brattiness about food, although I am fine with recognizing that everyone has that one thing (or two) they really cannot stand and I do not make them eat that.

No. But I'll eat things that aren't my favorites, especially if I'm a guest. But I don't not eat it because it's unusual or new either. And with a few exceptions, I've tried the things I dislike multiple times. Unfortunately one of the things I actually detest is vinegary things and it rules out a lot - pickles, many salads and some dishes. But I just can't do it and really, people, you'd prefer me not to. My gag reflex is strong.