Menu

Any dentists or orthodontists out there?

My son got his braces off this past Monday. He got retainers right away...the clear, plastic, molded type...not the one with the metal bar. Anyhoo...today he had a dentist/cleaning appointment and the doc repaired a slight chip in one of the front teeth. We had the retainer with us...my son tried it on...and, the doc said it looked just fine.

Well, tonight when my son went to put it in...he can't push it up as far as it should go. Ugh!! It almost slips off with very little force. Also, he thinks his teeth are starting to hurt a little with this off-fit. Sigh...

I'm going to call the ortho tomorrow morning. However, I'm wondering if it's okay that he doesn't wear it tonight? We certainly don't want to do any "damage" with an ill-fitting retainer.

I don't want to call the doc because the answering machine specifically states paging the doc for emergencies only. I don't think this is an emergency.

Thanks!

~Holly

He can go one night w/o wearing it - and let the ortho know asap that they should have told you they were not making a "normal" retainer ( the kind we are used to from our childhood). My first kid to get braces off and a retainer I was surprised to have them give him those plastic teeth-huggers.....and at the dentist a week later to polish up those no brace-less teeth a chip in one of ds's teeth was fixed....and then the retainer did not fit.

The ortho had to take new impressions and make a new retainer. He did NOT charge us for this - do not let your ortho charge you, either. If they want to make these new-fangled retainers, they need to ask about upcoming dental work, first! Or coordinate with the dentist to get the teeth checked out and repair work done before taking molds of the teeth!

He can go one night w/o wearing it - and let the ortho know asap that they should have told you they were not making a "normal" retainer ( the kind we are used to from our childhood). My first kid to get braces off and a retainer I was surprised to have them give him those plastic teeth-huggers.....and at the dentist a week later to polish up those no brace-less teeth a chip in one of ds's teeth was fixed....and then the retainer did not fit.

The ortho had to take new impressions and make a new retainer. He did NOT charge us for this - do not let your ortho charge you, either. If they want to make these new-fangled retainers, they need to ask about upcoming dental work, first! Or coordinate with the dentist to get the teeth checked out and repair work done before taking molds of the teeth!

Thanks! Yes...I told both the orth and the assistant that the dentist may be fixing the chip...but, they went ahead and made it anyway.

I figured one night would be okay since he would have had to wait almost a week to get the wire retainer.

Thanks!

~Holly

I had those clear retainers 25 years ago so I don't think they are anything new. They were my first set of retainers and were worn for a while (6 mo?, a year? I don't really remember now). They use those first because they hold the teeth in place better than the wire ones and when braces first come off the teeth still want to move. The clear retainer helps hold them in spot while the position firms up and down the road they switch to those wire ones on the hard pink plastic. At least that is what I was told, I loathed the clear ones because all my saliva would collect in it and then my mouth was dry all night long. But I agree one night won't make a huge difference if he doesn't wear it. Besides, it's not like he has a choice. If it doesn't fit properly even if he puts it in now, it will fall out when he's sleeping.

I now have my third kid in the clear retainers (my days of old-style were more than 30 years ago ;) ) and the oldest STILL, four years out, has to wear his at night (and sees the ortho once a year, now.) Our ortho starts the kids out wearing the clear 24/7 (except when eating) for a few months, then goes to night time only....seemingly forever. My oldest is 20. Surely his jawbone will hold those pesky teeth in position soon?????