Menu

Standardized testing - I've never done it (xpost)

I think this is the one big thing I've postponed up to now. My dds are ending 5th and 7th, I would like to begin testing them, but when. Should I wait until the beginning of fall, or do it now when we're almost done?

And which test would be best to administer. I have a BA, so I think I can do any of them, I just don't know which one to pick

thanks

I think this is the one big thing I've postponed up to now. My dds are ending 5th and 7th, I would like to begin testing them, but when.

I am testing my 5th & 7th graders next week w/ the CAT. Its a 6-hour test spread over 2 days. Yikes! It was $25 per kid. I also have a B.A. and could have administered, but I decided to have a local friend administer it w/ a large group of kids.

I have chosen to test my dds just once, towards the end of middle school -- 7th grade for my eldest, 8th for the youngest -- using the appropriate CAT.

I view such testing more as a way to show them how they'd stack up against their peers if they were in school. It is a one time thing but it has seemed to help them assess where they might fit academically.

HTH