Menu

Keurig vs. Mr. Coffee single serve

We're looking at the single serve coffee makers for FIL who is living in an assisted living apartment. He doesn't need programmable - too complex for him at this point.

The Keurig have so many offerings for single serve and I can't really discover the difference except the price. There are large single serve and desk-top single serve: so if they are both single serve what is the difference besides about $50.

The Mr. Coffee offers a single serve using the Keurig 'technology' and is $20 cheaper.

Any experience with these?

I am having the same debate right now. One difference is that the Keurig Elite (which usually sells about $119) has a bigger water tank and does not need to be refilled for every.single.cup.of.coffee. For my DH (for whom I am shopping), I think he wouldn't want to go get water every time.

I am having the same debate right now. One difference is that the Keurig Elite (which usually sells about $119) has a bigger water tank and does not need to be refilled for every.single.cup.of.coffee. For my DH (for whom I am shopping), I think he wouldn't want to go get water every time.

Ah, that's something to consider...

I don't drink coffee but my aunt gave us a Keurig a few months ago and we love it. We make coffee for guests and tea, hot chocolate & apple cider for ourselves. I'm not sure which model we have but it has 2 options for cup size not three. My parents have 3 options for cup size but never use one of them so I think 2 options is fine. I agree with pp about the water tank issue. Ours is large enough for 4 or 5 servings I think. It would be annoying to have to fill it between cups.

ETA: Availability of K-cups is another big plus. They have lots of options available at grocery stores and Walmart now and a large catalog for mail orders. I'm not familiar with the Mr. Coffee machine but if it doesn't use K-cups I would check on availability of whatever is uses.

The water tank was the reason we got the "elite". We have 2 cup sizes and because of dh, we do use both. The rest of us put "cream" in our coffee and need to use the smaller size.