Menu

Can you recommend a standardized test for us?

SebastianCat

For those who are familiar with all of the different standardized testing options out there, I'd like a recommendation for what to use. My kids are 9 (4th grade) and 7 (2nd grade), and have never taken a standardized test, although they are comfortable taking tests in general.

Our state requires EITHER a standardized test or a portfolio review at the end of each year to demonstrate progress. Up to this point, I've always been very comfortable with the portfolio review, since both of my kids are working well above grade level, and I know their strengths and weaknesses. But I'm beginning to think that they need the experience of taking a "standardized" test, because they'll have to do it eventually when they take the PSAT, SAT, etc., or if they ever go to school.

So what are the options out there, and which do you like? Are there any I could administer myself, or do they all require a certified teacher to administer? Are there any pros & cons to having someone else administer the test?

Thank you!

I have used Bayside for the CAT (although they have the TerraNova now too) and Triangle for the ITBS.

I believe for both you do need a college degree.

I have administered both to my son and am pleased with the service both places.

Bayside is run by former homeschoolers (kids grown... one my BiL ;) although he wasn't homeschooled).

I think you gain something by having someone else administer the test in that your kids get more experience with a traditional testing environment. For the first couple of tests, giving it yourself though lets you see what they know or don't know and helps them get accustomed to standardized testing.

BJU also has a standardized test available on their website http://www.bjupress.com or org. I can't remember :). But we did it with our daughter after 2nd grade. Someone with a college degree has to administer it and it can't be the parent, so a friend and I switch kids for the week and test them :). The kids do go home by lunch, usually sooner. It wasn't too hard. And we received the scores pretty promptly, I was impressed. We do it every two years starting in 2nd grade as that is what our home state requires (we're overseas but try to comply with our home state's standards for when we return). It helped me see where my daughter was lacking. I had already noticed her struggle with language arts (she's great at math and science but can't spell very well at all) but it made me realize how much she struggled. She scored 3-4 grades above hers on most subject and scored kindergarten in spelling. Time to remediate! And it's worked really well for us. So that's been our story :). HTH!

Do you have a local Christian school nearby? We have one that allows us to do the SAT-10 testing with them. My kids start in 1st grade and continue until 8th or 9th. ( By then they have taken the THEA or are taking ACT/SAT.) I like it because I drop them off. They have to be used to test conditions and to deal with someone else. So you might call around to see if someone might let you do that.

BJU also has a standardized test available on their website www.bjupress.com or org. I can't remember :). But we did it with our daughter after 2nd grade. Someone with a college degree has to administer it and it can't be the parent, so a friend and I switch kids for the week and test them :). The kids do go home by lunch, usually sooner. It wasn't too hard. And we received the scores pretty promptly, I was impressed. We do it every two years starting in 2nd grade as that is what our home state requires (we're overseas but try to comply with our home state's standards for when we return). It helped me see where my daughter was lacking. I had already noticed her struggle with language arts (she's great at math and science but can't spell very well at all) but it made me realize how much she struggled. She scored 3-4 grades above hers on most subject and scored kindergarten in spelling. Time to remediate! And it's worked really well for us. So that's been our story :). HTH!

The rules have changed. You CAN test your own children now. BJU sells the Stanford/OLSAT and I think the IOWA. I use the Stanford. It is easy to register as a tester. I do believe you have to have a college degree. I tested my son at home last year. Many of the standardized tests are very similar. I think the most important thing is to pick one and stick with it. This way you can compare progress from year to year.