Menu

Any photographers around?

I used to teach a photography class for scrapbookers at the SB store where I worked. My recommendation was to use the camera you had until you found it limiting in what you want it to do. I knew a lot of people that would spend some big $$ on a DSLR but never move it off the automatic setting and it was just a clunky point & shoot in their hands.

I am a Nikon gal, but if you decide to make the jump to a DSLR, I recommend looking at them and seeing which camera is most intuitive to you. Canon and Nikon both are always good choices.

Reading this book is the first very important step. If you don't understand shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, then you won't really be able to do any better than a regular point-and-shoot.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322871324&sr=8-1

At that point, you play with a dSLR (maybe a friend has one you could handle?) and decide if you are serious about photography.

I'm a Canon girl, so I would suggest something like THIS to start with.

What kind of photography are you interested in learning? I could make a good starter lens suggestion based on what you interests are.

I would start with my children. But I'd love to do landscapes and nature too at some point.

I used to teach a photography class for scrapbookers at the SB store where I worked. My recommendation was to use the camera you had until you found it limiting in what you want it to do. I knew a lot of people that would spend some big $$ on a DSLR but never move it off the automatic setting and it was just a clunky point & shoot in their hands.

I am a Nikon gal, but if you decide to make the jump to a DSLR, I recommend looking at them and seeing which camera is most intuitive to you. Canon and Nikon both are always good choices.

Well, I need a new camera either way since my old one is not working well anymore and I have mostly been taking pics on my Iphone. So I thought I might as wall buy a good one.

Feeling a little dumb, but what does DSLR mean?

Reading this book is the first very important step. If you don't understand shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, then you won't really be able to do any better than a regular point-and-shoot.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322871324&sr=8-1

At that point, you play with a dSLR (maybe a friend has one you could handle?) and decide if you are serious about photography.

Thanks!

DSLRs are professional grade cameras. There are varying levels of them. You definitely want to learn to shoot in manual mode.

The lenses you'll need for portrait photography are completely different than what you'd want for landscape/nature photography.

The 50mm f/2.8 is a good starter lens for portraits though.

I'd buy a decent body (don't buy a kit that includes a lens - the lenses are always awful), then get a 50mm 1.8 lens. They are probably only about $150 or so. Check amazon. Use just one lens until you really get the hang of it. It will help you learn everything you can and you can use your feet to zoom, rather than the lens!

I'm a professional wedding photographer. I have had both Canons and Nikons. I currently have a Canon. Any recommendation would have to take into consideration how much you are willing to spend.

You want to get a good lens to start off with. Lenses are an expensive obsession that most photographers never get over. For a starter I would recommend the 50mm f1.8. It's affordable and takes lovely, sharp pictures in low light. f1.4 is even better but you pay for it. Generally kit lenses (that come with cameras when you buy it as a kit and not body only) are nice enough but they don't tend to be great in low light.

As for learning there are lots of good books. The Moment it Clicks is one. Another good resource is http://www.clickinmoms.com/ I have a friend that took some classes with them and is now handily running a fabulous photography company. She takes beautiful pictures and has a regular schedule full of bookings. You can also find a ton of info. just by doing YouTube searches. Best to do these tutorials with your camera in your hand (and after you've gotten to know them a little through your manual). Shooting in full manual is ideal which takes lots of practice and trial and error and includes a lot of mistakes. It's easy to get discouraged. But don't. There's no point in that. :D The words Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO will become your life.

You will also want to invest in good photo editing software. The beautiful thing is that Adobe Lightroom, which is what we at my company use almost exclusively for editing, can be purchased through their website with an educational discount that homeschoolers are eligible for and downloaded right to your computer. The discount is more than substantial! It's normally $299 and you can get it for $89! You read that right. No joke. AMAAAAZING! You just have to provide proof of homeschooling (letter of intent or some form of ID, etc.) They got back to me with my approval the next day.

Those are some of my tips. Hope they help.

I'm a professional wedding photographer. I have had both Canons and Nikons. I currently have a Canon. Any recommendation would have to take into consideration how much you are willing to spend.

You want to get a good lens to start off with. Lenses are an expensive obsession that most photographers never get over. For a starter I would recommend the 50mm f1.8. It's affordable and takes lovely, sharp pictures in low light. f1.4 is even better but you pay for it. Generally kit lenses (that come with cameras when you buy it as a kit and not body only) are nice enough but they don't tend to be great in low light.

As for learning there are lots of good books. The Moment it Clicks is one. Another good resource is http://www.clickinmoms.com/ I have a friend that took some classes with them and is now handily running a fabulous photography company. She takes beautiful pictures and has a regular schedule full of bookings. You can also find a ton of info. just by doing YouTube searches. Best to do these tutorials with your camera in your hand (and after you've gotten to know them a little through your manual). Shooting in full manual is ideal which takes lots of practice and trial and error and includes a lot of mistakes. It's easy to get discouraged. But don't. There's no point in that. :D The words Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO will become your life.

You will also want to invest in good photo editing software. The beautiful thing is that Adobe Lightroom, which is what we at my company use almost exclusively for editing, can be purchased through their website with an educational discount that homeschoolers are eligible for and downloaded right to your computer. The discount is more than substantial! It's normally $299 and you can get it for $89! You read that right. No joke. AMAAAAZING! You just have to provide proof of homeschooling (letter of intent or some form of ID, etc.) They got back to me with my approval the next day.

Those are some of my tips. Hope they help.

Thank you! All very helpful!

Doh! This marks thr first time I tried to buy something since my mom-prime has run out. :( Luckily the toaster overn i want went down $10.

And thanks for this thread. I've neen thinking I should look into a good digital camera. I have a nice film one with a few lenses that I played around with when DS was a baby. Then I had 3 babies and no time. I'd like to get back into it.