Menu

What to use for Phonological/Phonemic Awareness?

I believe my ds7 may be dyslexic. I watched Susan Barton's videos and he has more than 3 on the list. He is having a terrible time learning to read. He can segment cvc words ok. If I ask him to tell me the sounds in the word cat he will say /c/ /a/ /t/. When I say the sounds /c/ /a/ /t/ he can't figure out what the word is. So when he is trying to read he will usually say the right sounds for the letters but he can't blend them to make a word.

Is there anything out there to help him with this?

Thanks!

Have you given your child the Barton student screening? Barton covers phonemic awareness in the first level of their program and continues to develop the skills in the next several levels, but some children (like my ds) need more before beginning the Barton program. The Barton website has recommendations for which programs to use, depending on which portion of the student screening the child fails to pass. My son did LiPS at the recommendation of Susan Barton.

Look at

http://hearbuilder.com

The Phonological Awareness program has been very helpful.

Ooo! I had never heard of that series before now. Thanks for mentioning it. The auditory memory program looks particularly interesting to me. :)

The phonemic awareness program that you used does look like it might be helpful to many children, but I can see that it doesn't have what my son needed a few years ago. Some children can't detect the difference between several similar sounds. They need a program like LiPS or FastForWords to teach them to detect the differences between different sounds before they can even begin to make sense out of other, more advanced phonemic awareness skills like manipulating sounds within words, deleting phenomes, blending consonant sounds etc.

Edited by merry gardens

I really liked 10 minute Literacy Leaders - http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=2699M. They also have a page linking the lessons with Explode the Code which I noticed in your signature. It helped my son alot. I'd also consider using HearBuilder if my son had been younger like yours.

Good luck,

Thanks! I have this book and didn't realize there was a chart linking the lessons to ETC.

Have you given your child the Barton student screening? Barton covers phonemic awareness in the first level of their program and continues to develop the skills in the next several levels, but some children (like my ds) need more before beginning the Barton program. The Barton website has recommendations for which programs to use, depending on which portion of the student screening the child fails to

pass. My son did LiPS at the recommendation of Susan Barton.

I have the student screening printed but I haven't given it too him yet. Susan recommends PASP is they don't pass Task A or B, and LiPS is the don't pass task C. I don't think there are any LiPS therapists in our area so I'm hoping he passes task C. I'm pretty sure he won't pass A or B. I'm not familiar with PASP and I really can't tell from the samples I've seen if it's worth $100.

I have the student screening printed but I haven't given it too him yet. Susan recommends PASP is they don't pass Task A or B, and LiPS is the don't pass task C. I don't think there are any LiPS therapists in our area so I'm hoping he passes task C. I'm pretty sure he won't pass A or B. I'm not familiar with PASP and I really can't tell from the samples I've seen if it's worth $100.

While I know Susan doesn't recommend it, you can do LiPS at home. I took both my younger two through it, and it was a tremendous help.

The movements in Barton level 2 really helped my ds bring blending together. In level 1 the focus is on separating and hearing the sounds without letters to represent those sounds. LiPS, after you cover the basics of how the mouth moves to makes sounds and how they feel, also covers this territory if you prefer to use that, but Barton is more structured and easier to use.

Heather

Look at

http://hearbuilder.com

The Phonological Awareness program has been very helpful.

Thanks for sharing this resource with us. I hadn't seen it before. Though my son is well past this point, I'm starting to think about working with other children, so it's good to know about this one.

I used Earobics for my middle daughter & my son. It was state-of-the art software (and the only one out there for home use) at the time we used it.

I used a hodge podge, but I just wanted to say, my son was this way, too. He could sound a t for at, but he couldn't say at. Same for in, an, am ---- all those words. He did learn to do it.

I had good luck with the alphabet tiles from AAS, doing the beginning of AAS Book 1. He did better to drag down the letters as he said the sound, instead of the colored sliders -- he didn't get what the colored sliders were for. It clicked with the letter tiles.

I bought Barton 1 and watched the videos, but didn't end up using it. But that was helpful. There are videos on the abecedarian website that helped me, too.

For him -- he learned to segment first. He could segment before he could blend. But, once he could segment, blending was not far behind.

I had him copy me -- I would segment a word, sliding the letter tile down as I said the sound, then blend it. Then I would have him copy me. I didn't ask him to come up with anything on his own for a little while, b/c he wouldn't, and he also didn't think he would be able to. But -- that was what we were doing when he got it.