Menu

Brambly Hedge or Beatrix Potter?

I have a 6 year old dd, and I'm trying to decide which of these she would enjoy receiving for a Christmas gift. She loved Old Mother West Wind, so I'm trying to find something similar. Beautiful illustrations would be a bonus! :)

Thanks!

Also: Looks like there are several Brambly Hedge books -- is there one that is far better than the others?

My DD has The Complete Brambly Hedge and likes it. (It's OOP but lots of new copies are available.) It is a gorgeous book (you'll get your fantastic illustrations here) and the stories are very sweet but, in my opinion, they have a slower pace and less adventure than some of the BP books. I would probably choose BP for this year and BH for next year. Or you could do BH for Christmas and BP for Easter. :D My kids wore out their copy of the BP treasury book, so the Easter Bunny was kind enough to bring them the World of Peter Rabbit box set of smaller books. They are pricey but my kids vastly prefer the smaller books.

By the way, when you do get BH, Calico Critters make a great gift. :)

That is so hard to choose! The girls have loved both. DD7 has asked for Calico Critters for Christmas, so I know what those are too. The illustrations in Brambly Hedge are a little more bold (not as pastel) and they are more detailed as in tiny things to explore. The English is not as difficult either, but they still are challenging. Can you get one book now for Christmas and the other book for a birthday?