Menu

Chalkdust users, can you share some info. on the text that is used?

I was going to try to purchase it used, just to get a "feel" for it, and perhaps work through it over the summer. I think the one CD uses has been specifically designed for the program. (?) But, I think Larson is the author of the text, correct? Would a used Larson text be completely different than the one used by CD?

Thanks! :001_smile:

ETA: *Algebra* to my subject line. :rolleyes:

That's the text we're using this year. Yes, it's the Larson text, and this is the geometry program we're using:

http://www.chalkdust.com/geomouttrad.html

It's the Traditional Geometry set, not the newer version. I think the newer geometry has more chapters.

For us, this has been plenty of geometry, but that's because my dd struggles with math. The web page I gave lists the chapters and sections. Dana Mosely is a very good teacher, and his teaching really "carries" the course. At first, I was "disappointed" with the Larson book, mostly because I'm a Lial's user; I'm used to the much more thorough textbook-style approach with Lial's. However, I have grown "acclimated" to the Larson book; it does get the job done.

My oldest was doing great with the book until Chapter 8 on Similarities---then she flunked the test--twice! So, I started getting really involved, listening to every lesson, taking notes, making her take notes also.

Here's our routine:

1. I listen to the lesson first thing in the morning.

2. Dd comes downstairs after breakfast and listens to the lesson twice on the first day: once to just listen, and once to take notes.

3. She does half of the problems: the first half on the first day, and the second half on the second day (except for the Exploration & Extension problems, which seem a bit more "irrelevant" to me). Dana Mosely recommends only doing every 3rd or 4th problem. We did every other problem, at first. However, when I got involved I felt personally that the Larson text was not really designed like the Lial's books. Lial's books are really designed so that you can easily assign all the odd problems or all the even problems. There were obviously problem sets in Larson's that were linked together. So, I started having her do all problems, usually around 15 or so a day. This still takes her a while!

3. BTW, she does listen to the lesson again on the second day of doing that particular lesson.

4. I also have her spend more time on the chapter review. We've progressed more slowly, but hopefully with more comprehension.

Of course, I may not have answered what you were looking for! You may be thinking of algebra or something else! If you have any more questions about geometry, feel free to ask.

That's the text we're using this year. Yes, it's the Larson text, and this is the geometry program we're using:

http://www.chalkdust.com/geomouttrad.html

It's the Traditional Geometry set, not the newer version. I think the newer geometry has more chapters.

For us, this has been plenty of geometry, but that's because my dd struggles with math. The web page I gave lists the chapters and sections. Dana Mosely is a very good teacher, and his teaching really "carries" the course. At first, I was "disappointed" with the Larson book, mostly because I'm a Lial's user; I'm used to the much more thorough textbook-style approach with Lial's. However, I have grown "acclimated" to the Larson book; it does get the job done.

My oldest was doing great with the book until Chapter 8 on Similarities---then she flunked the test--twice! So, I started getting really involved, listening to every lesson, taking notes, making her take notes also.

Here's our routine:

1. I listen to the lesson first thing in the morning.

2. Dd comes downstairs after breakfast and listens to the lesson twice on the first day: once to just listen, and once to take notes.

3. She does half of the problems: the first half on the first day, and the second half on the second day (except for the Exploration & Extension problems, which seem a bit more "irrelevant" to me). Dana Mosely recommends only doing every 3rd or 4th problem. We did every other problem, at first. However, when I got involved I felt personally that the Larson text was not really designed like the Lial's books. Lial's books are really designed so that you can easily assign all the odd problems or all the even problems. There were obviously problem sets in Larson's that were linked together. So, I started having her do all problems, usually around 15 or so a day. This still takes her a while!

3. BTW, she does listen to the lesson again on the second day of doing that particular lesson.

4. I also have her spend more time on the chapter review. We've progressed more slowly, but hopefully with more comprehension.

Of course, I may not have answered what you were looking for! You may be thinking of algebra or something else! If you have any more questions about geometry, feel free to ask.

I'm so sorry to make you type all of that, Michelle! I *will* take your scheduling ideas, though! I remember your post about taking notes. I am going to try and have my dd do that next year.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. :001_smile:

My dd started this year with the CD text. The title is 'Algebra I (second edition); Special edition for Chalk Dust Co'. the authors are Larson and Hostetler.

Does this help?

SusanAR

Thank you, Susan! I also went to the CD site and I see that they have listed the authors and publisher of the text they use. I have been looking on used sites. There are a few different texts.