Menu

MM or MUS for child counting on fingers?

diaperjoys

I have both and I'd think that MUS might be better for that. However, we just switched to Right Start and I'm seeing such a huge improvement right now. I'm loving RS. But we liked MUS too and might go back in the upper levels. I'll probably use MM for reinforcement-more like a supplement. But RS has been great for helping me to teach and has been awesome for mental math and retention.

What about just sticking with the current math program and adding in an abacus?

I don't know of anything in MM that would particularly prevent counting with fingers. It doesn't involve manipulatives unless you add them in.

ETA: You can teach adding across 10's... 9+4 = 10+3 = 13. Just make 10's and then add in an easy manner. That is something that MM does teach, but you can teach it yourself also.

We use MUS and my daughter still struggles with these facts. I think it just takes time and patience for some kids. I use MUS online facts, and factsheets to help. I don't think it's the program's fault, I think the child just isn't getting it and it will just take awhile. Over time, we've improved, but it's been a slow, uphill climb.

Alison

MUS and drill, drill, drill.

I think I have made the mistake of thinking that the curriculum was going to teach my child math and have skimped on drilling. Some people cannot "see" math facts go together in their mind, they just have to memorize them. I use a combination of MUS and drilling (flash cards, online drills, and skip counting songs) to drive home the math facts. I have some ground to make up with my son (10) and am hoping to circumvent that with my dd (6).

I've used both. I like how Math Mammoth goes more into mental math. I think that helps a lot with not counting on the fingers. I know when I was a kid I used something I came up with myself. It's now taught as "Touch Math." It's really not any better than counting on fingers, but it certainly doesn't look as bad LOL. I only used it up to the number 5 though. Basically you touch points on the numbers themselves to count. So, the number 2 has two places you touch with your pencil. The number 5 has five, and so on. The literature on it says it gives them a more concrete picture, rather than an abstract symbol for the number.

That being said, you could certainly add Cuisenaire rods to your current math and help cement the facts. You can outlaw fingers and only allow rod use or mental math to reach an answer.