Menu

Next step for Latin

Stuart

We will be finishing SSL soon. My son loves his Latin. I'm not sure where to go from here. I was looking at LFC but it is pricey. I only have one so I won't be able to pass it on. I also was looking at GSWL. Price is much better and the MP3s are available free. I have zero Latin knowledge so I need a strong program. I'd appreciate thoughts/ideas. Thanks

I emailed Classical Academic Press recently and they told me that the SSL2 curriculum had been written and they were just going to edit it and then send it to print. But they couldn't give me specifics on when. I would LOVE for it to be in January.

If you need something before ssl2 comes out you might consider Prima Latina. I used it after we finished SSL because my dd wasn't ready for lfc yet. It wasn't as fun and doesn't have as many bells and whistles as SIL and lfc but it served a purpose. Like SSL it is vocabulary based and doesn't really touch on grammar other than to identify that the weekly lists are nouns or verbs, etc. The program covers a lot of derivatives. LFC is definately a big step up in difficulty. It jumps right in to grammar covering declensions and longer lists of words fr each lesson. We really like it and I think it's worth the money but it requires a pretty big jump in work required to learn the lesson material.

My son would love SSL2. I'll hope for January! My library had a minimus kit available so I'm going to check it out. The more I look at LFC the more I think it will be too much right now. Maybe next year. There is plenty of time he's eight:001_smile: