Menu

Simply Spelling vs. Spelling Wisdom... how do these programs differ?

YOu can compare the two available samples, the one at SimplyCharlotteMason.com and shoelacebooks.com if you wish. I chose Simply Spelling because I didn't want just words from a predetermined list such as Spelling Wisdom is based on, I also prefer the daily copywork and lesson in Simply Spelling over Spelling Wisdom's format based on the samples. Spelling Wisdom does have more information about the product upfront but you can email Laurie Hicks (author of Simply Spelling) through her website.

Another feature I liked better with Simply Spelling was the ultimate cost, grades 3-12 is $34 and non-consumable whereas Spelling Wisdom has grade levels to purchase separately. It might be an added feature to others but I don't like having math in our spelling work like Spelling Wisdom has. Now, I will say this- if Simply Spelling doesn't work for us we'll try Spelling Wisdom before anything else. I think Simply Spelling will be our program though.

Hth

For those of you who use 1 of these resources, I'd love to hear why you chose one over the other; they seem very similar. Thanks!

My just-finishing-4th-grader is halfway through Spelling Wisdom A; she'll do the second half in 5th grade. She does two lessons a week. The first day she copies the lesson, and the second day she writes it from dictation. She enjoys it, and prefers it to learning words from a spelling list. She has also remarked that she finds the passages interesting.

As for the math comment from another poster: there have been two passages (out of 78) that are excerpts from an early 1900's mathematics puzzle book. We both found it interesting to try to solve the problem presented -- successfully once, and we're still stumped by the second. So it has not been my experience that the child is expected to do daily arithmetic work as part of the spelling lesson.

I hadn't heard of Simply Spelling until I read your post.