Menu

SL Core 5 - TOG

TXMary2

So, I am thinking way ahead AND I know Core 5 is called something else now, I just don't know what. I loved Core 5 and want to do it with my youngest when the time comes. That said, I love TOG and have no desire to stop using it. Core 5 isn't really history, it is more of a cultural study I guess. Should I call it geography/cultures and do it in addition to our TOG history? Gosh, it seems like it would be overkill, but I really don't want my little guy to miss out on it.

What would you do/how would you do it?

I used SL from PreK to Eastern Hemisphere and it was Eastern Hemisphere that proved to be my moment of disaffection because it so lacked any effort to get the child to think critically at all. I ended up developing my own questions for the readers.

So personally, I'd look at the books they use and I'd carefully pull out the ones that seem like you and yours would find them interesting and plug them into Tapestry where appropriate. Tapestry does cover most of the non Western areas in their four year rotation they just stay more history focused rather than cultural focused. But you could read the read alouds out to your kids at the right moment or just over the course of the year.

So, I am thinking way ahead AND I know Core 5 is called something else now, I just don't know what. I loved Core 5 and want to do it with my youngest when the time comes. That said, I love TOG and have no desire to stop using it. Core 5 isn't really history, it is more of a cultural study I guess. Should I call it geography/cultures and do it in addition to our TOG history? Gosh, it seems like it would be overkill, but I really don't want my little guy to miss out on it.

What would you do/how would you do it?

Honestly, I would NOT do both. Core 5 was pretty full...at least the way I did it. I threw the IG out the window. We did it by country or continent. I got extra books and tons of documentaries. If you search for choirfarm in the Core 5 ( or whatever they call it now) you can find things titled Russian resources, China resources, etc. I listed documentaries as well as picture books for my 5yo at the time. ( I did the core with the boys when they were 4th and 6th. We started TOG the next year. I love TOG, but I am considering whether or not to do my version of Core 5 with my daughter next year.. It really was my favorite.

Christine

We're using SL Core F (former 5) this year. I have used TOG in past years. That said, I cannot imagine myself doing both of these programs simultaneously. I am using SL with 7th and 8th graders, and we have wonderful, rich, full days. We do much of the EHE together because the goal of that is to teach the student how to research. We're doing crafts, we cook foreign meals, and we read, read, read. We have time for cultural rabbit trails. I wanted a different year for my 8th grader before she entered her high school rotation, so this was a perfect fit for us this year. We may go to TOG next year, not sure, but I am so glad that we are using SL by itself, to its full potential.

I've been wondering myself how to fit in Core 5. I had two ideas. The first idea is to take 2-3 weeks off whatever "main" program we are doing and do one country of Core 5 and do this however often we need a break from our "main" program (it might take 2 years or more to finish). The second idea is to just do Core 5 (light) once or twice a week in the afternoon. Maybe one of those would work for you?

Good luck,

OK- I pretty much figured it would be impossible to do both. I know many people don't like them, but the EHE pages were one of my favorite parts of Core 5. My son loved almost every reader. I added in other resources when we did it and back then we did the LA too, but I won't be doing that again. I think maybe I can do it as a cultures/geography study and spread it over 2-3 school years. That way I can stay on track with TOG.

Thanks for all the input. :)