Menu

state college, PA in January

Bring warm clothes and boots; it very well could be snowy there then.

As for lodging, it depends on your budget and how close you want to be to campus. If you want to be on campus and stay somewhere nice, there's the Nittany Lion Inn, but it is pretty expensive (or at least it was a decade ago). Last I knew, there were also the usual chain hotels; we once stayed in a Sleep Inn (I think; it might have been a Comfort Inn) on North Atherton Street, and it was fine. I've also stayed in the Hampton Inn a bit out of town (East College Ave.), and it was fine (no idea of price; my ILs, before they were my ILs, took me along a couple of times when they visited their son/my then-boyfriend), and I want to say I stayed in the Holiday Inn on South Atherton St. with my parents once too. The Stevens Motel on North Atherton was cheap but merely adequate -- fine for broke newlywed alums visiting friends. :) The Happy Valley Motor Inn on South Atherton Street has been a step above the Stevens Motel, IME, but still not that all fancy.

For food, what do you like? If you like pizza, there's Facia Luna on South Atherton St. and Highway Pizza on College Ave. (which is the south border of campus), North Atherton Street (Atherton is the western border of campus, though it does extend a bit onto the other side of Atherton), and South Atherton Street. Last I knew there were the usual chain restaurants too. The Deli is nice and not too expensive (and not a deli; it's a nice sit-down restaurant). The Corner Room is on College Ave. and is *the* Penn State restaurant; it's pleasant and not horribly expensive. The Waffle House in College Ave. is a favorite breakfast spot. I've never actually been to the Allen Street Grill, but it's supposed to be good (no idea about price). I think it's Spat's that has a Cajun flair; I've only been there once, because it's expensive, but it was good. The Diner on College Ave. is also a favorite Penn State spot. Last I knew there were also several restaurants in the lower part of the Hetzel Union Building, on campus. (I can't remember if The Cellar and Coaly's Cafe are still there or not; I know they put in a bunch of chain restaurants and took some of the old ones away.)

To do: there's the Palmer Museum of Art, on campus. There are some theaters on campus if you wanted to see a show. There's a small museum in the earth and mineral sciences department. If the Centre Furnace Mansion, east of campus a few minutes, is open, that's interesting to see. I'm sure if you like sports stuff, there are museums or something too. I'm drawing a blank on other stuff right now, though.