Menu

Starting Classical Education in Logic Stage

I have been homeschooling my dd for many years now and you would think I know everything, but I have to ask for help and I hope someone can lead me in the right direction. We have mostly followed a more relaxed approach to language arts particularly writing and grammar. I would like to change things up this year and have more of a focus on writing this year and implement some of the classical education methods. I read TWTM book years ago, but as of right now I cannot remember a thing it said about outlining, dictation, etc. and I am so pressed for time that I doubt I can sit down and read the book to get ideas for what I should be doing with my dd.

Can someone give me the Classical Education for Dummies version of what you do for language arts in the logic stage and also how do you apply outlining, etc to other subjects like science and history?

I just need something to start with that I can implement fairly quickly. If anybody has recommendations for websites, threads on this board, or short books that sum it all up really well, I would appreciate it greatly!

If you want to homeschool with classical methods, you have to take the time to learn what you're doing. You have to make time for reading TWTM or other books about classical education at home. You have to study how to evaluate your child's logic and writing, because answer keys won't be adequate. You have to learn enough Latin to evaluate your child's homework. (I learned that the hard way. The answer key isn't enough for grading translation work.)

If you want open-and-go curriculum that you can use to provide your child with a solid traditional education, those materials certainly exist. But if you want to teach the grammar of content subjects, develop your child's understanding and synthesis of that content in the dialectic stage, and help your child learn to express the meaning of what she's learned for others (both speaking and writing) in the rhetoric stage, you'll have to study how to do all those things.

I don't mind reading through all the methods and studying everything in depth (usually that is what I do since I am a natural researcher), but I don't want to overwhelm my dd with a lot of stuff at once. I just want a few ideas for what I can start with that would be simple changes to start us on the classical education path.

By the way, does anyone know what TWTM edition is best? I noticed there are newer editions and I am not sure if that makes any difference or not.

I personally like the latest edition of WTM but I like to keep everything fresh and up-to-date. Can you tell us what your dc has/have been working on up to this point? What type of grammar has been used? Any writing program?

One thing to get started might be to listen, if you can grab a little time (easier said than done, I know), to SWB's writing lectures. You can get them very inexpensively on the Peacehill Press website and download them as MP3s.

Another idea is to look at samples of First Language Lessons 4 and see if that looks like it would be too easy or just right. Same with Writing with Ease and Writing with Style (her new program).

I don't mind reading through all the methods and studying everything in depth (usually that is what I do since I am a natural researcher), but I don't want to overwhelm my dd with a lot of stuff at once. I just want a few ideas for what I can start with that would be simple changes to start us on the classical education path.

By the way, does anyone know what TWTM edition is best? I noticed there are newer editions and I am not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Oh, I see! I misunderstood.

In that case, I also recommend Susan's mp3 lectures as a starting point. Full of useful information, and likely to inspire you!

What materials have you used with your daughter in the past? How old is she?

My dd is 13 and in the past we have used Growing With Grammar (currently still using) and for writing we have not really stuck to one particular program (tried a little of Wordsmith Apprentice and a handful of others I cannot even remember right now), but my dd is a natural writer so I have not focused as much on it until now. We have been putting a lot of energy into math and spelling (her two biggest weaknesses). I guess I just want to not only have her learn about science and history, but also approach it from a classical method, whatever that may be. I feel like we have been skimming the surface in science and history for years and maybe we need to go into more depth, do more activities, outlining, journals, something.

I will look into the MP3s (I can probably listen to them while I am walking/exercising). Has anybody tried the electronic version of TWTM, is it difficult to read on an android phone?

I have also been looking into Writing With Style. I may start that in January. Just wanted to get some ideas before then to apply to what we are doing now.

Our Current Curriculum: Key to Math and LOF, GWG, Soaring With Spell and Vocab, Oak Meadow Earth Science, studying middle ages for history using various books (we have a ton of middle ages books including middle ages encyclopedias and Kingfisher History Encyclopedia), and Lightning Lit (have not officially started this yet).

Growing with Grammar isn't one of the ones recommended by SWB but I don't think its a bad choice. Some may not feel its as rigorous as other options but if its working for you, I'd stick with it. We are using WWE right now and CW Aesop, but I can't wait to use WWS.

I really don't see that you are that far off in what you are using. Everyone tweaks so that it works for them. I'd take a look at TWTM recommendations for history though if you're wanting more. Or perhaps look at History Odyssey by Pandia Press. And possibly look into Latin and Logic.

Someone here on the forums has a great quote in their siggy (and I don't remember it word for word) that says the best curriculum is the one that gets done.

Good luck,

Art of Argument is great for logic. We love it.

Ruth in NZ

Thanks for the recommendation Ruth. I was thinking about using that as well once we get further along with everything else, want to make sure that mom is not overwhelmed! I love the title of that book because my dd seems to love to argue!

I forgot to mention that I have not taught Latin yet either, but picked up a super inexpensive copy of Latin Alive at a used homeschool store a few days ago. So, maybe I am on the right track anyway.

Thanks for all your help ladies, off to purchase my new copy of TWTM!