Menu

Grammar choices?? There seem to be so many...

mommatomany

We're currently using CLE LA. It's just not a great fit. I've been researching a few different options and wanted some feedback on them.

The ones I'm considering:

FLL

PLL

English for the Thoughtful Child

R&S

Any thoughts on any or all of these? OR is there a program that you can recommend other than one of these? Thanks!!

Dd8 is using EFTC. She just started book 2 this year. We love it. It is a very gentle approach to grammar and composition skills. It incorporates poetry, picture study, and copywork. I would say it flows with the CM style of grammar. The only R&S I used was 5th grade with dd11. She hated it. I thought it was a very in depth study of grammar but not her style. It is textbook format and she is much more hands-on. We are using Winston Grammar with her and that has been a perfect fit. I do like R&S but I think it only works well with some children. Alot depends on what kind of learner you have and what approach you want to take. Others will chime in, I'm sure, on your other choices.

My dd is 8 and in 2nd grade. I should have clarified...is JAG wouldn't work then right?

Oops, sorry! I should have checked your siggy. Yes, the AG website says about JAG:

Jr. Analytical Grammar is a program intended to introduce the ideas of English grammar to younger students. It is designed to be taught in an 11-week grammar "season" in either 4th or 5th grade.

And this about JAG: Mechanics:

Jr. AG: Mechanics consists of 15 weeklong units and is recommended for students who have completed either Junior Analytical Grammar or the first "season" of Analytical Grammar.

Currently with my younger son I am using GWG until he is old enough for JAG. It takes 5-7 minutes a day and is plenty for him to get some of the basics until he is old enough for JAG. I know that the whole purpose of JAG/AG is now to have to teach grammar for years and years on end but GWG is a great compromise for me since it is so easy and quick. He is getting the basics with little time and effort. I did this automatically with my oldest and truly used no formal curriculum until we got to JAG but I had more time to spend with him. As we read we would talk about commas and punctuation and parts of speech. Now that I am schooling 3 boys my time is so stretched that GWG allows me to feel like I am not leaving him out completely.

We're currently using CLE LA. It's just not a great fit. I've been researching a few different options and wanted some feedback on them.

The ones I'm considering:

FLL

PLL

English for the Thoughtful Child

R&S

Any thoughts on any or all of these? OR is there a program that you can recommend other than one of these? Thanks!!

Do you want just grammar, or a more comprehensive English that also includes writing?

Do you want just grammar, or a more comprehensive English that also includes writing?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Writing is my dd weakest point. She complains whenever she has to write something out. BUT she loves grammar and enjoyed the workbook-ish style of CLE.

I would love to use EFTC but I'm afraid she'll hate it with too much writing but I'm just as worried that R&S will be boring and dry...

To be honest, I'm not sure. Writing is my dd weakest point. She complains whenever she has to write something out. BUT she loves grammar and enjoyed the workbook-ish style of CLE.

I would love to use EFTC but I'm afraid she'll hate it with too much writing but I'm just as worried that R&S will be boring and dry...

Have you considered WWE? It would help with the writing, covers a bit of grammar mixed in and is in a workbook style. My ds7 is in WWE 1 and my ds10 is in WWE4. You could beef up with GWG if you wanted a bit more grammar.