Menu

Logic Stage History-All 4 years of planning

As I am thinking about the history component of our own homeschool, I was wondering what other parents are doing for this stage of the trivium. DD is going into 5th and I am trying to make a plan (in my head right now) of what I want history to look like these next four years. What will your history cycle look like for logic stage? Do you follow TWTM recs or use something different? I've been reading in TWTM this week as we enter this stage (actually already entered this stage with older son, so re-entering this stage) and just wondering how we're going to "connect the dots" so to say in history. How is this done when the main spine recommended is an encyclopedia? Would love to hear your thoughts and see your plans if you've already planned this part of the trivium out or if you are in the midst of it.

I get a little overwhelmed as I think of dd going into highschool and doing some type of great books course. I want to start preparing her now and yet am waffling with where to start! :)

We're still using SOTW to tie it all together. I tried Biblioplan too but mostly abandoned it because it skipped around in SOTW too much. I make a weekly assignment sheet for DS and he can choose (within reason) what to do each day. History usually looks something like this:

Read Ch. xx in SOTW

mapwork

Read Usborne pp.xx-xx, Kingfisher pp. xx-xx

library books

Paragraph on Julius Caesar (outline, rough draft, edits, final draft)

I also make an effort to include primary sources as much as possible for DS to read and we have a timeline (all around the living room and up the stairs).

The last few weeks I've been trying to figure out how I want to spend the next couple of years. I didn't buy Jackdaws for 5th because of the price and some negative reviews (poor quality copies). It seemed like just getting the primary sources off of the internet would be fairly straightforward and cheap. But I don't always know which primary sources a) exist or b) are interesting to a 10yo boy. This week I stumbled across Pliny the Younger's epistles about the destruction of Pompeii and they were just exactly right. But when we tried to read some of Caesar's war commentaries we were both bored. I'm sure there's good stuff in there but out of 15 or so writings I didn't know which excerpts would be best.

I'm intrigued by Veritas Press' Omnibus 1, which they recommend for 7th grade. I can't decide how to use it though without disrupting our history cycle. I know we CAN study history differently than the WTM plan, but I've been sold on the 4-year cycle ever since I first heard about it. Plus, with the two younger ones, I want to keep everyone on the same cycle to help keep things orderly. I might do Omnibus 2 next year...maybe. Or just do Omnibus 1 in 9th grade, although as I understand it they are working on three more levels for high school. The price is a little scary, but it looks GREAT!

I'd love to hear other responses.

I've posted what we do before....but, what resonated with me about your post is how differently I am reacting to starting my younger ds in Logic-stage stuff next year. When my older was in 5th, and we had just started hs'ing, the WTM method seemed "tough", but I just kept them in mind as a goal while trying to fill in the gaps. I think we're about there, if still a bit shaky in spots - he'll be starting 8th next year.

I cannot complain about the results I've seen using WTM & SOTW for history/writing/just maturing in thinking and in general. But, I admit that much of what I remember is not from the outlines and such, but from the historical fiction we've read. During our Middle Ages year, we ended up using the last half of SL Core 6 to get us through, and we kept the Read-Aloud concept this past year even tho' we did a more strict WTM approach - and I really, really do use those stories as my "hooks" for remembering history.

I was thinking about this last night - and how I want my younger ds to benefit from the Readers/Read-Alouds in SL 6 & 7 while he's in the logic stage. I'm having a more difficult time feeling confident that following WTM and sprinkling in SL is the right thing for him. There is a huge part of me that wishes I could just use SL and not feel so compelled to make it fit the WTM-model. And, there is a huge part of me that wishes I could forget SL and just accept that high school and the Great Books are coming in 2009, and embrace WTM logic-stage completely as the logical choice for a tag-along middle schooler.

This next year (5th and 8th) we are sort of locked into finishing the history cycle ala WTM - and I'm glad in a way. I plan to use the library more, have more independent research and reading, and we'll be reading some really great lit books (the 8th grade list in WTM). But, I'm scared. In my more pragmatic moments, I know everything will be fine. The dots do get connected, as you say. But.....I'm still scared!

So, no answers, just more musings....funny tho' how it seems like it should be easier the 2nd time, but it's not - LOL!

Rhonda

Here's a post I made earlier on our specific plans last year and this coming year:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29533

We are using this method (and I used it earlier, with an older son, too). The encyclopedia spine is just a starting point for the history study. We read a plethora of books on topic each week, too.

The other books you use, are they from the library or do you buy them? What are some good non-fiction history books that would complement the logic stage?

We're still using SOTW to tie it all together. I tried Biblioplan too but mostly abandoned it because it skipped around in SOTW too much. I make a weekly assignment sheet for DS and he can choose (within reason) what to do each day. History usually looks something like this:

Read Ch. xx in SOTW

mapwork

Read Usborne pp.xx-xx, Kingfisher pp. xx-xx

library books

Paragraph on Julius Caesar (outline, rough draft, edits, final draft)

This is what I've done in the past, and then tied in literature to complement history, but with my older ds, I didn't really see him asking those questions logic stage students are supposed to ask, and he is FULL of questions! I guess I'm really questioning how I guide my students to make the connections with history! My firstborn was my experiment, and now I feel compelled to be much more prepared the second time around. :)

I also make an effort to include primary sources as much as possible for DS to read and we have a timeline (all around the living room and up the stairs).

The last few weeks I've been trying to figure out how I want to spend the next couple of years. I didn't buy Jackdaws for 5th because of the price and some negative reviews (poor quality copies). It seemed like just getting the primary sources off of the internet would be fairly straightforward and cheap. But I don't always know which primary sources a) exist or b) are interesting to a 10yo boy. This week I stumbled across Pliny the Younger's epistles about the destruction of Pompeii and they were just exactly right. But when we tried to read some of Caesar's war commentaries we were both bored. I'm sure there's good stuff in there but out of 15 or so writings I didn't know which excerpts would be best.

I found this to be true too. I'm wondering if saving primary sources for a more mature age is more appropriate.

I'm intrigued by Veritas Press' Omnibus 1, which they recommend for 7th grade. I can't decide how to use it though without disrupting our history cycle. I know we CAN study history differently than the WTM plan, but I've been sold on the 4-year cycle ever since I first heard about it. Plus, with the two younger ones, I want to keep everyone on the same cycle to help keep things orderly. I might do Omnibus 2 next year...maybe. Or just do Omnibus 1 in 9th grade, although as I understand it they are working on three more levels for high school. The price is a little scary, but it looks GREAT!
My son did Omnibus I this past year and he enjoyed it. But, the concepts are really deep and there were many many questions that he didn't know how to answer, simply out of having no experience with the topics. I had to talk things out with him a lot, which isn't a bad thing at all. It takes a lot of time to do well. But, there are online academies that offer this course.

I've posted what we do before....but, what resonated with me about your post is how differently I am reacting to starting my younger ds in Logic-stage stuff next year.

Maybe it is because we know what we're getting ourselves into? :) Yes, I felt this same way too, but now I'm wondering if it is "enough." I guess I'm going to have to make it what I want it! :)

I was thinking about this last night - and how I want my younger ds to benefit from the Readers/Read-Alouds in SL 6 & 7 while he's in the logic stage.
I like the read alouds too. I guess I have always incorporated this into our studies as we all enjoy it. I haven't used SL since 2nd grade, but this is the one thing I've taken away from SL.

This next year (5th and 8th) we are sort of locked into finishing the history cycle ala WTM - and I'm glad in a way. I plan to use the library more, have more independent research and reading, and we'll be reading some really great lit books (the 8th grade list in WTM). But, I'm scared. In my more pragmatic moments, I know everything will be fine. The dots do get connected, as you say. But.....I'm still scared!
If I could do it over again with my oldest, I would want to be more prepared as a teacher. I think that is why I'm getting overwhelmed with my daughter! I have all these goals for the summer of what I want to learn ahead of her. She is not a naturally inquisitive child, I never was either, and I know I'm going to have to REALLY guide her through the logic stage to make her think on her own.

So, no answers, just more musings....funny tho' how it seems like it should be easier the 2nd time, but it's not - LOL!
I totally understand this! I guess as I'm expecting excellence in my child, I want to be an example of that to her! I wish this road were a little easier!

Here's a post I made earlier on our specific plans last year and this coming year:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29533

Thanks for this Rhonda! :)

We're finishing up our first year of logic stage history, and this is what we've done:

(1) Basically repeated all of the grammar stage material (SOTW, SOTW maps, picture books, activities), largely because I also have a 1st grader but 5th grader has not minded re-doing this at all and I think it is good review.

(2) Reading and outlining Kingfisher.

(3) Adding dates from Kingfisher to timeline.

(4) Reading one primary source each week and writing a (very short) paragraph on it.

(5) History/literature reading with either a follow-up writing assignment or discussion. Here's the list I put together for ancients:

The Boy of the Painted Cave (14K BCE) (160p) (no library, 6$, 4/3) (OWN)

Gilgamesh the Hero by McCaughrean (3000BC, Sumer) (96p) (library 2, 15$)

Golden Goblet (Egypt) (256p) (library 1, 5.6$, 4/3) (OWN)

Mara, Daughter of the Nile (Egypt) (p279) (library 1, 7$, 4/3) (OWN)

The Odyssey by McCaughrean (112p) (library 3, 5$, 4/3)

Children’s Homer by Colum (256p) (library 1, 10$, 4/3)

Hittite Warrior (Israel 1220BC) (237p) (no library, 11$)

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Green (Egypt) (256p) (no library 5$, 4/3) (OWN)

Guerber Story of the Greeks (no library, 13$)

Tales from China by Birch (China) (208p) (no library, 10$)

Detectives in Togas (Rome, looks funny) (272p) (library 1, 6$, 4/3)

Tales from Japan (Japan) (158p) (no library, 10$)

Guerber Story of the Romans (no library, 13$)

Tales from India (India) (160p) (no library, 10$)

Tales from Africa (Africa) (224p) (no library, 10$)

The Cat Who Went to Heaven (Japan/Buddhism) (72p) (library lots, 5$, 4/3)

The Bronze Bow (Rome in time of Jesus) (256p) (own)

Eagle of the Ninth (Roman Britain) (302p) (library 1, 8$, 4/3)

(ignore my notes)

I feel that this has worked pretty well for us and plan to do the same thing for year two.

Good luck!

truthquest.com. She writes an analsis of different events along with related book for that topic. The books are well written and provide an analysis of the philosophy and mindset of the people in each historical event. It is a little more 'meaty' than SOTW, and provides more to discuss in the logic stage than an encyclopedia alone. The guides are not expensive either, so they are easy to add to the encyclopedia. We used them along with outlining the Kingfisher encyc. this past year.