Menu

Classical Composition Fable Samples

Create Your Ritual

Lesson 3

The Fox and the Grapes

By Aesop

DS8

One hot summer day a sleek fox walked along until he came upon a grape orchard. It was in the middle of the summer, and the grapes were bursting with ripeness. The American Red Fox walked under the shade of the grape vines for a little bit searching, then he saw the shadow of something he knew very well, Grapes! When he looked up he tried to hold back his voice, but he couldn't. He let out a yelp of excitement. It echoed across the orchard. Grapes! That word went to his mind. Grapes! Grapes! Grapes! He almost exploded, but he had one problem. He could not reach the grapes. Every time he jumped to get them he would fail. He tried until he had to give up, and the stars were up bright and clear. He trudged away saying, "I am sure they were sour."

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.

The Fox and the Grapes

By Aesop

DD10

One summer's day a sleek, sly, American Red Fox was strolling through an orchard in the morning. He found some Concord grapes strung over the branch of a massive oak tree. He tried to run and jump on the count of three, but failed. Again and again he tried to get them, but did not succeed. The day was a perfect day, with a warm breeze, but that did not help Fox at all. He muttered, "At this rate I will be out here until the stars are twinkling." He walked home without a glance at the shiny grapes, purple with ripeness. He said to himself, "I am sure they are sour anyway."

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.

Edited by SaDonna

Original Fable - The Fisherman Piping

A fisherman skilled in music took his flute and his nets to the seashore. Standing on a projecting rock, he played several tunes in the hope that the fish, attracted by his melody, would of their own accord dance into his net, which he had placed below. At last, having long waited in vain, he laid aside his flute, and casting his net into the sea, made an excellent haul of fish. When he saw them leaping about in the net upon the rock he said, "O you most perverse creatures, when I piped you would not dance, but now that I have ceased you do so merrily."

DD10's paraphrase incorporating Topographia, Mimisis and Hydrographia

One day a merry fisherman came along to the sea, which had green foamy water laden with fish. The fisherman played tunes while standing on a rocky ledge, barnacle encrusted with age. He was hoping that the fish would dance into the net. Finally when he had caught nothing he put away his flute in disgust and cast his net out farther. He waited, and a couple of minutes later he made a huge haul of fish. He said, "I could hear you down there saying, 'The fisherman is too lazy to come and get us! He thinks we are just dumb fish!' " The fisherman added, "O you most perverse creatures, when I played you would not dance, but now you do so merrily."

DD's retelling from the middle of the story -

The fisherman indignantly put away his flute in disgust and cast his net. A couple of minutes later he made a huge haul of fish. He said, "I could hear you down there saying, 'The fisherman is too lazy to come get us. He thinks we are just dumb fish!' " The fisherman remembered when he had started playing the flute to the fish in hopes that they would jump into his net. The water had been a sparkling green foamy color, but was now a mocking gray, as if it was laughing at him. He said to the fish, "O you most perverse creatures, when I played you would not dance, but now that I have ceased you do so merrily."

DS8s paraphrase incorporating the above fig. of description -

One day some fish spotted a fisherman walking up to the sea where they were. He had a flute in one hand and a net in the other. He cast his net into the sea, which was dark and gloomy. Then he played a tune, hoping that some fish would dance into his net. The fish heard the music and giggled for they would not dance into the net. Finally the fisherman cast his net into the sea and brought up a haul of fish. He said to them, "Oh you most perverse creatures, I could hear you saying, 'That fisherman is so stubborn that he is going mad,' and when I played you did not dance, but now that I have ceased you do so merrily.' "

DS8's retelling from the middle of the story -

A fisherman was playing a flute on the seashore. He was hoping that his music would make some fish dance into his net, which he had put below. He remember how he had brought his net and flute, thinking that he would catch fish. It had been quiet when he entered the beach, and he was cheerful at the time. Now he was no longer happy, but was angry instead. Finally he gave up playing. He cast his net into the sea and brought up a haul of fish. He said to them, 'Oh you most perverse creatures, for when I piped you would not dance, but now that I have ceased you do so merrily."

Edited by SaDonna

The Flies and the Honey Pot

By Aesop

DD10

One day some flies were attracted to a jar of honey. One of the flies said, "Just like my grandma fly used to say, 'Don't waste food, eat it!' " So they placed their feet in it and ate greedily. When they were done they tried to fly away but found that they were stuck. They couldn't get out. This wasn't the sweet, warm, imaginary Honeyland of their dreams, this was a trap! Just as they were expiring one fly managed to cough out, "Oh foolish creatures that we are, for the sake of a little pleasure we have destroyed ourselves." Another replied, "Pleasure bought with pain hurts."

The End

These were using the Figures of Description - Sermoncotio & Topothesia

• 2 weeks later...

Original Fable -

Two men were traveling together, when a Bear suddenly met them on their path. One of them climbed up quickly into a tree and concealed himself in the branches. The other, seeing that he must be attacked, fell flat on the ground , and when the Bear came up and felt him with his snout, and smelt him all over, he held his breath, and feigned the appearance of death as much as he could. The Bear soon left him, for it is said he will not touch a dead body. When he was quite gone, the other Traveler descended from the tree, and jocularly inquired of his friend what it was the Bear had whispered in his ear.

“He gave me this advice, “ his companion replied. “Never travel with a friend who deserts you at the approach of danger.”

Figures of Description - chorographia, chronographia and prosopographia

Dd10 -

The Bear and the Two Travelers

By Aesop

Retold by ...

One spring day, when the bears and the other creatures were just waking from their long slumber during the cold months of winter, two men named Bob and John suddenly came upon a hungry bear who had just awoke. Bob quickly climbed up a tree to escape, not even thinking about John whom he had left in the undergrowth. John lay down on the ground hoping the bear, a Prince of Black Bears and a very ferocious one at that, would leave him alone. The bear, being of royal blood, did not like to eat dead meat. But John wasn’t really dead, he just acted like he was. That was enough to convince the bear though. He turned and trundled away, leaving John alone.

Seeing the whole thing, Bob came out of the tree after making sure the bear was gone and asked John in a joking tone what it was that the bear had whispered in his ear. John, his face solemn, brow creased, and eyes clouded with anger, growled, “Never travel with a friend who deserts you at the approach of danger.”

Ds8 -

The Bear and the Two Travelers

By Aesop

Retold by ...

One warm spring day two lads were walking through the forest. They were jumping, singing, and telling each other stories. The happened to forget that the bears of the forest were just waking up. The lads soon came upon a family of Grizzly bears. With sleepy eyes and hungry expressions, the bears slowly lumbered out of their den. When they saw the male bear, one man fled up a tree and the other man fell down on the ground. The bear ran at the body that was on the ground, he sniffed it, smelled it, and rolled it, but eventually walked away not willing to touch what he thought was a dead body.

After the bear was gone, the scared man in the tree came down and jokingly asked what the bear had whispered in his ear. The other man replied, “Never travel with a friend who deserts you at the approach of danger.”

** I can see that ds got a bit mixed up with his story using bears / bear. We discussed it, but I didn't have him change it as he is 8 and other than that I thought he did a great job.

Edited by SaDonna

• 2 weeks later...

DD10

The Ant and The Dove

Here is the original fable -

An Ant, going to a river to drink, fell in and was carried along in the stream. A Dove pitied her condition, and threw into the river a small bough, by means of which the Ant gained the shore. The Ant afterward, seeing a man with a fowling piece aiming at the Dove, stung him in the foot sharply, and made him miss his aim, and so saved the Dove's life.

"Little friends may prove great friends"

Here is DD10s paraphrase using astrothesia (vivid desc. of stars) , and hydrographia (vivid desc. of water)-

One day just as the sun was rising on the horizon, an Ant came to a bubbling stream, bright blue and glistening, to get a drink. Suddenly Ant fell in and was pulled from shore by the current. A Dove who saw this, threw into the river a tiny twig. The Ant grabbed on and the twig safely beached shortly afterwards, depositing the delicate ant on the shore, thereby saving her life.

Night came, and with it a full moon, casting shadows upon the ground. The stars twinkled like thousands of flickering lights. Eventually morning came and revealed another beautiful day. Later on, the ant saw a sneaky hunter creep near the sleepy Dove and aim a gun at him. The Ant quickly ran up and stung the man on the foot, making him lose his aim. The man hopped up and down like a grasshopper and then turned and fled. The Ant had saved the Dove's life.

"Little friends may prove to be great friends"

Edited by SaDonna

DS age 8 and his paraphrase of The Ant and The Dove -

One day an ant was going to the clear, bubbling waters of the river to get a drink. As the ant was drinking, a wave of water splashed over the side of the river and forced the little ant deep into the water. A dove, who was quite amiable, felt sorry for the ant's circumstance and flung into the river a little leaf which the ant clung onto and brought him safely to shore.

One morning, when the sun was not yet up and the stars were still out twinkling, the ant came out of its house for a morning stroll. Soon the ant came upon a hunter who was exquisitely dressed in a fine cloak, and had a 24 inch shot gun pointed at the sleepy dove that had saved the ant's life. The ant, who was walking up to the mans foot, stung him right there so he would not shoot his friend. The ant therefor saved the dove's life.

"Little friends may prove to be great friends"

• 2 months later...