Menu

Help with 8th grade summer reading list

She might try books by Tim Powers (The Anubis Gates, Declare, etc.) or James Blaylock (The Last Coin). The authors are Christians, and their books fall under an obscure category called "magical realism" - basically fantasy. The Last Coin is particularly entertaining and mysterious, and involves Judas' 30 silver coins, intelligent cats, pigs, and bed-and-breakfast renovation. Tim Powers' novels are a bit more on the serious side, but very good.

My dd has enjoyed the Dragons in Our Midst series by Bryan Davis this year. Christian fantasy, and she (and quite a few of her friends) have devoured them. There is the original 4 books in the series and then after that there are two prequel books (the third dd is anxiously awaiting this summer). She also enjoyed (though not Christian fantasy) The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede. It begins with Dealing with Dragons. I have read these and they are fun and enjoyable. Nothing questionable. I think there are others, but my brain's dead right now. By the by, CBD has Dragons in our Midst and the library has both series.