Menu

Old Dog, New Tricks, Is It Possible?

Good Morning all!

We're getting our new sofa/love seat delivered in a few weeks, I'm slightly excited! Our old set is 10+ years old and well loved. My only concern is our dog, who is also 10+ years and well loved. We're getting a microfiber set which I'm told is really easy to clean, but I'd rather our dog not be allowed up on it. He's lived his whole life being allowed (by dh) on the furniture, it's probably too late to teach him otherwise, isn't it?

He's a sweet, but dumb as a box of rocks Beagle/Basset mix if that helps.

It is never too late to teach a dog; it's a new sofa, things have changed. He's not allowed on this one.

Maybe get him a nice new cushy bed nearby? If he gets on the couch, tell him "NO!" and bring him to his bed. You have to be consistent though; DH can't let it slide.

But now is the time to teach him, not after he's gotten used to lying on the new sofa.

There are mechanical things to startle him down off the couch in your absence as well...there's a big gadget that snaps shut and startles the dog. You set it like a big mousetrap. I don't know what it's called, but our friends swear by it, to teach a dog not to get on the couch.

Maybe get him a nice new cushy bed nearby? If he gets on the couch, tell him "NO!" and bring him to his bed. You have to be consistent though; DH can't let it slide.

I think he would LOVE a big bed of his own! Right now he just gets a stack of our hand-me-down old pillows, I think he likes the smell, he tries to run off with our in-use pillows. :glare:

But like AK_Mom4 said, the hard part is going to be getting dh to go along, he loves his dog!