Menu

Do I need a "reading curriculum" for my 7 y/o?

momsuz123

My 7 y/o is a great reader, loves to read all the time. She reads aloud to me almost daily. She reads about a 3rd-4th grade level with good comprehension. Do I need a formal reading program? I read to my kids daily, she tells me about her books she has read. I know TWTM is not an advocate of the textbooky type reading books, I am not either. I just keep thinking I should have some more guidance, if not her for me. Ie. today this week let's look at the setting of the books you are reading. This week let's talk about characters. Etc. What do you do? We also do FIAR.

Thanks.

We've been doing How to Report on Books, which is an Evan-Moor publication. I find it adds a nice touch of the kind of literary analysis you say you're already doing. It gives 18 "lessons," which each have a book or two that you're supposed to read as examples, (and plenty of "back-up" books in case that one's not available) with reproducible book report forms on the opposing page, which are meant for the child to fill out himself or herself with individual readings.

Yesterday, for example, we covered setting in terms of place, (the report was titled "Location, Location, Location,") and the report asked for the title, author, and illustrator information, and then asked where the book was set and three clues included in the book for giving place setting. It was the second such report on place setting--the first didn't ask for a particular number of clues, but it was pretty similar. If you do the lessons, however, the first merely talked about the place a book was set, while the second focused on the importance of the setting to the story. (It was one of the double-bookers, so you could contrast an urban and a country setting in two stories about gardening.)

The amount of writing required to fill out the reports is pretty minimal, and several of the "character" reports actually involved drawing, as well.

It works well enough for us!

I haven't used it, but I have looked at the HOD site, and I think "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" might give you a framework for thinking about different genres and how to present them. You don't have to fork over for their suggested books--you can just pick ones of your own as far as I can tell.

Not that you *need* this. Just if you are looking for something with some suggestions for types of books to read or how to discuss different types of literature, DITHOR might help.

HTH!

christina