Menu

AOPS video?

Rusczyk is working on them continually and posting them as he goes - he only started a couple months ago (the book was just published in August), so he's only up to ch 6, probably keeping pace with the first on-line class. My dd is working through the book alone (without the class) and we're not quite keeping up with his video production, so I'm certain he'll finish them all before we need them.

Yes, I believe he plans to do videos for Algebra as well.

While we look at the videos occasionally, and I'm thrilled to have them, I can't say they're an essential part of using the book. To take advantage of the discovery method employed by this book, a student should first try to work through the lesson problems before watching the videos.

Also note that AoPS has free on-line extra practice via "Alcumus" on the website.

To take advantage of the discovery method employed by this book, a student should first try to work through the lesson problems before watching the videos.

:iagree:

We LOVE the videos at our house tho - we do the lesson problems, then watch the videos, then work the section exercises. The videos do a good job reinforcing and expanding on the ideas. Plus they are pretty darned funny - he even has my five year old running around saying "Remember! Never divide by zero!" :thumbup:

Thanks for the info.

I really enjoyed his explanations, besides being made to "think."

I realize the "recommended" is to work first/ discover, then reinforce with the video, then work again. I have one that will probably thrive on this sequence, another that may be somewhere in between. Some topics might be best video first. Video availability might be the dealmaker for one.