Menu

OT: What comes first-cut or color? I haven't

cut my hair in about 10 years and it is down to my waist. I want to color it because I have too much gray. But which do I do first-cut or color? Are the color-at-home hair dyes good, especially for for curly, dry, coarse hair? Am I just going to make a fool out myself with such a drastic change?

:confused:

In 10 years??

Go to the salon, not because you might make a mistake but because you deserve it. When you go, you can learn from your colorist/stylist what shades look best on you, if you don't already know and be able to enjoy the experience. After that, you'll be able to pick a boxed color more confidently. Even if it costs $100, aren't you worth it for one trip? Go by yourself if possible and if you can, get yourself a new outfit the same day. Pick up a new book just for you. Eat ice cream.

At least go to a salon and get your hair done. :)

In 10 years??

Go to the salon, not because you might make a mistake but because you deserve it. When you go, you can learn from your colorist/stylist what shades look best on you, if you don't already know and be able to enjoy the experience. After that, you'll be able to pick a boxed color more confidently. Even if it costs $100, aren't you worth it for one trip? Go by yourself if possible and if you can, get yourself a new outfit the same day. Pick up a new book just for you. Eat ice cream.

At least go to a salon and get your hair done. :)

:iagree: What she said! Treat yourself, Mama, you're worth it :001_smile:

Thanks all,

I would love to go to salon the first time but we are REALLY tight on money right now. I was thinking of donating to Locks of Love so I could get the trim for free and color at home. I have a white stripe that starts at my hairline like Cruella Devil.

What do you think of long layers? I was doing research on hairstyles for round (75 lbs overweight) faces and "they" say if I want to keep my hair long to do layers starting below the chin. Oh I have to call and see if they will layer my hair for free or if only the trim is free but I'm procrastinating because I'm chicken. Still when your Dad pulls three white hairs out of your braid, Mom discreetly leaves color shampoo, and dd12 makes comment of how high up the braid those split ends are traveling...I think its time.

What do you think of long layers? I was doing research on hairstyles for round (75 lbs overweight) faces and "they" say if I want to keep my hair long to do layers starting below the chin. Oh I have to call and see if they will layer my hair for free or if only the trim is free but I'm procrastinating because I'm chicken. Still when your Dad pulls three white hairs out of your braid, Mom discreetly leaves color shampoo, and dd12 makes comment of how high up the braid those split ends are traveling...I think its time.

Personally, I don't like my hair layered. In fact I really like it long to take the emphasis off my round face. Is your hair curly? Straight? Maybe a little body will help. Have you had a look at the "Curly Girl" website? What if you just color the gray and see how you like it? Is there something else about your hair you don't like? Are you using a good conditioner?

I used a color-at-home kit and had my niece do it (she has a lot of experience and I trust her!). I just wanted to cover the gray but make it look as natural as possible. I really like it.

The first time I used the kit where you wear a cap (hide all of the cameras first) and just pull through the strands you want highlighted. Now I buy the kind with an applicator brush and do it myself.

Friends of mine have donated their hair to Locks of Love and each one had a different experience with the type of haircut. So I guess it depends on the stylist that's doing it and how much time she wants to put into it.

Have you thought of going to a beauty school to get this done? It will take a little longer because the stylist will be supervised while she is cutting/coloring your hair. But it will be wayyy cheaper than a regular salon -- the haircut may even be free.

You can do this -- remember, if you don't like the results, time will fix it!

I have frizzy hair. On humid days, my hair can look like Diana Ross hair. A decade ago, when it was about to my bra, it was pretty wavy. I could do big curls, tight curls, it would hold any curl. But right now it is just Brillo pad dry and coarse. Full of split ends. And summer is a long season here in Texas. It is just going to get worse when the pool opens.

I think maybe I will cut it, get some long layers around the face only- that way I can still pin it back, and just highlight around my face. I will also google the curly girl site.

Thanks

Locks of Love has a lot of rules about the hair they accept. My stylist tells me that she has to reject about 1/4 of those who come in wanting to donate and get a free haircut.

Assuming that you're eligible, I'd cut and then color. I enjoyed long hair but the coloring and upkeep was too much for me. To me the price of a monthly haircut and coloring it once a month at home with ONE kit is worth it.