Menu

Where to find homeschool groups??

I am wanting to find a homeschool playgroup for my dd, but don't know where to find any. I'm in So Cal, so I would think there would be a bunch - but when trying to search online, all I can find is homeschool private schools which would mean I would have to pay $800-$1000 to be a part of their school and then take classes/friday school. I just want playdates! ;)

Where do you find them/how do I find other homeschool friends?

have you seen the lists of homeschool groups for So CA?

http://www.bayshoreeducational.com/groups.html

http://www.home-school.com/groups/CA.html

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/CaliforniaSouthland.htm

the groups and resources in your area are certainly abundant!

I think your dd is too young for these groups, though. She's not technically in school, and even in K I would think it would be hard to find a homeschool group. I've never seen a family in a homeschool group anywhere where the oldest child is 4 or 5, and I've been homeschooling for 14 years now!

I joined our homeschool group when my child (only one) was 4 1/2, so it's not too young.;) With a late summer birthday, she was on the tail end of eligibility for kindergarten and we started in the late spring/early summer before she started K (which, in public school, would have been the month she turned 5). We began actual homeschooling when she was four, alongside the half-day preschool she attended. Besides, most groups have younger siblings in those age groups (I know our group goes from newborn to teens).

Ask at places homeschoolers go to see if there's anything---library story times (check with the children's librarian), rec center, YMCA, nature centers, etc. Any place with free or low cost classes for kids. If there's a moms' email list or such, ask around on there. Is there a bookstore around that carries homeschool materials? Ask there (or hang out in that section and strike up conversations with others in the same section :)). Hang out at the park during school hours and approach groups that have kids who look school-aged.

Edited by KarenNC

Living in our third state since we started homeschooling,

and I have always found my first connections via Yahoo Groups. A search like "homeschooling city state" (fill yours in), will pull up several options usually.

That's always been my first foot in the door, and usually you can start gleaning information on other groups and local activities from there.