Menu

LED v. LCD tv

I'm buying an HDTV for my son for christmas. Do I want LCD or LED? I found a Toshiba 24" LED for $220. I'm not sure I want to wait for Black Friday. I'm wondering if the tvs will go quickly. I'm still trying to figure out how much I want to spend, but I know I don't want larger than 24" because of space issues.

As stated, LED TVs are LCD TVs; the LED part of the name refers to the lighting technology. As has been stated, they tend to be thinner, and offer generally offer better contrast ratios. You can get pretty in-depth with differentiating TVs on this basis: http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

In the end, for a TV for a child especially, I'd probably just buy based on price and reviews based on the normal criteria: screen quality, sound quality, reliability, ports, networking capability, etc. I wouldn't necessarily shy away from a good LCD TV at a decent price point. On the other hand, LED TVs have come down a lot in comparable price in the last couple of years. It's really up to you as to what features are most important to you.

If you have a local Best Buy, BJs, or similar store with arrays of different types of TVs, that's probably your best bet for figuring out which types of TVs are more appealing to you, keeping in mind that a lot of the differences you see can be due to the way they're set up (you should fiddle with the controls if possible).