Menu

Dr. Hive Question re: yearly shots

If my kids are "up to date" on shots and have been since they were tiny and if they've been exposed to whooping cough. . . because they've had their yearly shots -- are they safe from actually getting the whooping cough?

Or. . .?

I guess I'm not sure if whooping cough is one of the annual shots they've received. And, if they've received it, are they out of the woods?

A friend has it. My kids have been exposed but haven't shown any symptoms.

Thanks!

Alley

If they're up to date on everything, then they're up to date on whooping cough. However, one can be up to date and still get whooping cough as the vaccine doesn't offer 100% protection. If you are concerned, I urge you to discuss it with your kids' doctor.

If my kids are "up to date" on shots and have been since they were tiny and if they've been exposed to whooping cough. . . because they've had their yearly shots -- are they safe from actually getting the whooping cough?

Or. . .?

I guess I'm not sure if whooping cough is one of the annual shots they've received. And, if they've received it, are they out of the woods?

A friend has it. My kids have been exposed but haven't shown any symptoms.

Thanks!

Alley

Hi Alley,

CDC recommends that all close contacts of pertussis patients, regardless of vaccine status, receive antibiotics within 3 weeks of exposure. However, there is debate about what would qualify as close exposure.

Even if your kids are up to date, there is a good chance they are not immune. The vaccine doesn't protect everyone, and it wears off fairly rapidly. I would urge you to discuss it with your kids' doctor.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, you can call a public health nurse at the state or local health department for advice.

As noted, if your kids are "up-to-date" they should be up-to-date on the pertussis vaccine. However, I know of a documented case of whooping cough in someone who was fully immunized.

Also, when was your last booster? (I'm not asking you to answer publicly -- just to consider if you are at risk.)

Double-check me with a doctor, but I believe that adults and even teens usually don't have immunity anymore unless they have gotten a booster. See here for more info about the booster schedule. Best wishes!