Menu

Resume/cover letter wording help

LNC

How would you say in a cover letter??:

"My skills and experience are a good match to your needs in this position."

Would you use different wording? Or a different word instead of match?

I'm trying to help someone, but I'm not sure either :).

Thanks!

Edited by LNC

"I believe my skills and experience make me a very qualified candidate for your position." Make sure you also talk about your belief in the company as a whole.

Would you also mention an internal contact that referred you in the cover letter?

Using "I believe" is much weaker than just, "My skills are a good match..." or whatever. They don't care what you believe.

And yes, I would mention whomever referred your friend, something along the lines of, "Susan Wilson in Accounting mentioned that you are looking for..."

I have read many resumes and cover letters over the years, and "I believe," or even worse, "I feel," are my pet peeves.

Terri

I have read many resumes and cover letters over the years, and "I believe," or even worse, "I feel," are my pet peeves.

Terri

well. it is just that though. a pet peeve. when i was a social worker, i interviewed a lot of people, and it wouldn't have bothered me if someone said in a cover letter that they believed their qualifications matched our criteria for a position.

on another note, my pet peeve is a resume that is longer than 1 - 1 1/2 pages. even if the person was qualified, it was simply too much to weed through ridiculous amounts of information dating back to 1990.