Menu

WWE 1 - Week 25 Pollyanna

FairProspects

I wish I had my book here to tell you if we had trouble with that one or not! I honestly can't remember... I'm thinking he might have had some issues... There were *several* he had issues with, usually ones with older language. I think the WWE2 passages we've done so far have been way easier than most of the WWE1 passages. :tongue_smilie:

As long as he's able to do well on some of the other passages, I wouldn't freak out. :)

Can he read the passage himself? I don't know how far he is in his reading, so that might not work in this case, but if he can, that sometimes helps kids.

I seem to recall my son not being interested in that one as much either, but most of the passages he really liked. You could always pick a passage from something else you're reading for this week, then move on to the next week in WWE.

This wasn't the hardest one for the girls, but I quickly looked at it, and I remember I had to help a lot on that one. Some of the details (if I can remember correctly) weren't as easy to recognize, and the story is kinda boring if you ask me. The hardest I think was Rumpelstiltzkin (sp?).

Rumplestiltskin was evil. (pun intended)

Since the goal is to get good narrations, I think you'd be fine moving to level 2 when you're done. Keep working on the questions to see if you can improve that part, but if he's catching the important bits in his narration, I'd keep going. Perhaps when his reading catches up with his brain, he'll be able to better get the details by reading it himself. In the meantime, just work on the weaknesses as best you can while continuing to move forward in the area that he's doing well.

Has he made progress with the questions since week 1? And have you tried teaching him to visualize what's going on? I did that with a dictation sentence recently and it really helped DS1 remember the series of things in the sentence. I could see that working in a passage too.

Btw, WWE with DS2 scares me. I'm trying not to think about it just yet. :lol:

I think the real issue is I just don't feel like any progress is being made by ds using the WWE 1 workbook with the narration questions. On most passages I have to repeat back 2-3 of the answers to the questions pretty consistently. I just don't see that fact changing by Week 36, which means he wouldn't pass the evaluation (copywork is no problem). The crazy part is his narrations and comprehension of the ideas are excellent. To be honest I think this is where his LDs come into play and I'm probably going to have to re-think his writing instruction.

Anyone want to comment on what skills ds would lose from WWE if I skip the narration questions? (He can easily give me a narration, usually the main point without answering them.) Isn't the point of the questions to help the student form a narration? If his brain goes right to the big picture automatically, does it matter if he can't remember the name of Miss Polly's maid?

If he likes the passage, he can usually answer the questions. If he doesn't, I could read it 4 times over and he wouldn't be able to recall the details. Its a working memory issue.

I could read the passage to him 47 times and I'm not sure he would be able to recall the details in complete sentences and that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't comprehend it. Ds is completely frustrated by his inability to do the task too and has begun calling himself stupid.

...this is a child with *excellent* reading and listening comprehension and who can have complex discussions about historical events or the principles of power, liberty, equality, etc. but cannot recall the name of a character from a passage of WWE.

Just trying to piece everything together in my mind (I had a look at your thread on the SN board and quoted some of your posts from there here)...so he can summarize the big picture of a passage that you read to him, but he can't recall specific details/answers to specific questions or put those details into complete sentences?

I'm wondering if you might not need to read the specific questions to him. Can you try asking him for one to three sentences that tell what happened (or describe the scene - I can't remember if that is included in WWE1), and then evaluate his sentences to see if indeed he has generally answered the questions anyway? Some kids don't need the questions to guide them.

Also, about complete sentences. If he's having a hard time giving complete sentences, whether in giving his own big picture summary, or in answering specific questions and you giving him the answers for him to repeat back to you, how about this: take the gist of what he's telling you, and *you* create a grammatically correct sentence with his info. Then say the sentence to him (several times if needed) and have him repeat it back to you word for word while you write it down (or he writes it down, whichever you do). This will give him practice in saying complete sentences which will help with his future thought formulation. You mentioned "language issues" - do you think this idea would help him? Personally, I think it's just fine to give him answers/help him find answers to specific questions, and fine to have him repeat correct answers and grammatically correct sentences back to you before he or you write the sentences on paper. It's very intensive, but it models how language is to work.

The part about Miss Polly's maid's name...I'm assuming that's a specific question. I'm wondering, if he can accurately give the big picture narration, could you then just prompt him for the smaller details. For example, if he says, "Miss Polly's maid, oh, what was her name, Mom; uh, well anyway, she went downstairs to fetch the bedsheets," could you say, "So, ds, Miss Polly's maid went downstairs to fetch the bedsheets?" "Yes" "OK, I'll write that down - what was Miss Polly's maid's name, ds, so I can put it in the sentence?" "I dunno." "OK, let's look back at the passage - where is she mentioned?" "Oh, here. Oh, look, Mom, her name is (maid's name)!" You say, "OK, the sentence is "(Maid's name), who worked for Miss Polly, went downstairs to fetch the bedsheets.' Repeat that, ds." Son repeats, you or he writes it down.

I'm not sure what "working memory issue" means, but I wonder if any of this specific instruction would help? It does seem pointless for you to keep reading passages over and over again (frustrating for both of you, I imagine). Maybe you might need to dig in deeply for awhile with the modeling of responses, and then he might catch on?

Also, about complete sentences. If he's having a hard time giving complete sentences, whether in giving his own big picture summary, or in answering specific questions and you giving him the answers for him to repeat back to you, how about this: take the gist of what he's telling you, and *you* create a grammatically correct sentence with his info. Then say the sentence to him (several times if needed) and have him repeat it back to you word for word while you write it down (or he writes it down, whichever you do). This will give him practice in saying complete sentences which will help with his future thought formulation. You mentioned "language issues" - do you think this idea would help him? Personally, I think it's just fine to give him answers/help him find answers to specific questions, and fine to have him repeat correct answers and grammatically correct sentences back to you before he or you write the sentences on paper. It's very intensive, but it models how language is to work.

This is what I have to do for DS2 in general speech. He will ask me something in weird word order, and I'll repeat back to him what he said in the correct order, have him repeat what I said, then respond to what he said. It's tiring, but he eventually picks up on the correct word order for that type of question. I wonder if that might work for the complete sentence answers too.

I'm curious how the narrations themselves are going. Is he including details in those? Maybe you could give some example narrations?

The detailed comprehension questions may just need to wait until he's capable of reading the passages himself, and that time will come. Honestly, I can't always answer the questions in WWE, and I'm the one reading the passage out loud. :tongue_smilie:

The hardest I think was Rumpelstiltzkin (sp?).

Yeah, Rumplestiltskin was definitately the worst.

Huh, I can only assume that you guys all skipped Week 16, "Master of All Masters," in which you're supposed to somehow remember the weird terms the man made his servant learn. We sailed through Rumpelstiltzkin fairly easily (you only had to remember one of each list of names), but "Can you say 'the cat has got a spark of fire on its tail' in the old man's silly language?" OMG.

Huh, I can only assume that you guys all skipped Week 16, "Master of All Masters," in which you're supposed to somehow remember the weird terms the man made his servant learn. We sailed through Rumpelstiltzkin fairly easily (you only had to remember one of each list of names), but "Can you say 'the cat has got a spark of fire on its tail' in the old man's silly language?" OMG.

My son loved that one! It was funny, so it held his attention. I had to help him with some of the questions, but he wasn't in tears over it. :)