Menu

"NO ONE is allowed to turn the oven on here again until Oct,"

Gardenschooler said.

I'm with you. I'm pg, the thermostat is set at 45 while the kids' thermometer reads 80, & I can't sleep it's so hot.

So tell me. What can we do w/out the oven that's not a) any kind of pasta salad (EW!!) or b) cooked on the grill (ours is at ils' house, dh isn't home to use it, & I've never done that)?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7982764

put it outside while it cooks. It really does not heat the house up that much and I have even cooked a cake in it!!!!!

Just don't open it to check on things..set the timer and then check, you lose a lot of hit if you open it.

Or you could get a large crock pot and set it outside...I have even done this!

Have you tried changing your thermostat?

I would call my landlord and tell them something is wrong with your unit!!

I make all kinds of meals - probably most of our meals! - on the stove.

I have a big non-stick pan and I make boneless chicken breasts about three times a week, just varying the method/spices. The other nights I might make chopped meat, pork chops, sliced steaks. Then the one-pot meals - stews, soups, chili, pot roast. Salad or frozen veg and then rice/noodles/pasta/potatoes/stuffing and that's dinner! Not very inventive, I guess, but almost always quick. The one pot meals I start after lunch - I have never gotten the hang of the crockpot but the stove works pretty well.

Early on in our marriage, we lived aboard a sailboat. It *had* an oven. But, it was unreliable and easier to just not use it. So, I did nearly everything on the stovetop. Cast iron skillets and a big Dutch oven or stock pot. Meats were pan seared, cooked in a light coating of olive oil w/ garlic and other seasonings. Or, we did vegetarian meals. Anything goes with rice, potatoes, or other grains. Summer is a wonderful time for grain salads and a plate full of fresh vegetables which cook up quickly on the stovetop. Pasta is always available, too. I had a pressure cooker in which I'd prepare beans and rice, but I also made a Thanksgiving meal of Rock Cornish Game Hen in that thing. Granted, it was just me and dh at that time.

The only thing I missed was toast. But, maybe you have a toaster. :D

Hang in there Aubrey!

So tell me. What can we do w/out the oven that's not a) any kind of pasta salad (EW!!) or b) cooked on the grill (ours is at ils' house, dh isn't home to use it, & I've never done that)?

Take out! Just kidding, well, not completely. :D

Sandwiches off all kinds, salads with interesting toppings, roasted chicken from Sam's (they are Tyson's with no hormones, etc.) or SuperWalmart.