Menu

Retained Moro reflex? Any experience?

I took dd in for VT testing today and the dr. said she has a retained moro reflex. Googling that some of it definitely sounds like dd - 0-tantrum in seconds, anxiety. But, she has excellent balance, healthy as a horse - so not all symptoms fit. Plus - he had her turn her feet out and walk like a duck -her arms automatically turned way out as well. When he had her turn her feet in, her arms turned in as well. Is that a definitive test for a retained reflex?

The VT we went to is on the COVD list - he's the only one less than 2 hours from us. I want to do what I need to to help her, but I don't want to throw $2000 out the window either. Overall, she did well. The only thing that was really not good was her visual memory. Argh!

Anyone with experience or knowledge to share?

Are you addressing the reflex in any other way? This child is my freak out child. I can see many of the 'symptoms' in her behaviour - anxiety, low-self esteem, hates change. Should I address this with our ped? A psych eval?

I really hope VT is the way to go. Dh is a little skeptical. Decisions, decisions!

In addition to the VT, our occupational therapist had ds do specific exercises (many whole-body exercises) to integrate these reflexes. Very successful. He had 5 primary reflexes that were not fully integrated, so over the course of 25 sessions each was addressed.

Ask your therapist, for us it was a matter of adding one additional exercise to each session's home work.

My dd had OT for SPD, which probably dealt with her reflex issues, as well as VT several years ago that included whole-body exercises. We are back in VT for a few random issues, including visual memory. We just started, so we'll see.

You may want to post this question on the SN board, where there may be a greater concentration of folks doing VT.

My son has that too, but we are not going through a doctor, rather he sees a neurodevelopmentalist, so things might be different for you. We are doing some 'retraining' at home to work on his central nervous system that includes whole body patterning exercises, and he is doing some VT exercises as well. We have only been doing these things for a few months, and his anxiety is largely gone, he has less than a tantrum a day now, he can remember what he was sent to do when he gets to the room he was sent to (go put on your shoes, and he remembers that when he gets to his room). I can't remember if the last thing was related to the Moro or not (he has a few things going on).

I am amazed at how much better things have gotten in such a short period of time, so hang in there. :grouphug: