Menu

short spelling lessons (rule based)

poetic license

Phonetic Zoo is really good. You get a 15 word list every week that all follow a similar rule. We only do it 3 times a week and it takes about 10 minutes each time. The first day, we review the new words & the rule. The 2nd day I have my son verbally spell each word and if he misses a letter he goes back to the beginning of the word until he can spell it correctly. The third day we do the "test" where he writes each word down as I say it. Any missed words get added to the next week until he shows proficiency.

:iagree:I second this. This has worked wonderfully for my kids and it takes almost no planning time for me, using the workbooks. Very rule based and the syllabication part (which I thought might be unnecessarily confusing) has turned out to be extremely helpful. It has some dictation already built in, too.

Is there anyone who has seen both of the following?

Spelling Plus with the optional Spelling Dictation, both by Susan Anthony.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/014528/ff96a6b13bd1743821ed48b9

For the How to Spell series, can I get by with the workbooks only and forgo the main manual?