Menu

Homeschooling high schoolers in Georgia

My dd15 is in public school 10th grade. We're thinking about pulling her out of the high school but we absolutely need to keep her in an accredited program so she can finish earning her diploma. Her bio dad is against homeschooling but legally I can make the decision. However, he has her feeling so absolutely guilty about even the idea of withdrawing from school that her anxiety is working overtime. I know GVA is for K-8 students because it uses K12, but what are the options for high schoolers? Anything?? I know there are online classes with GAVS, but our one experience with that last year was not so great. Besides, I don't think they are set up to have a student complete an entire program online, are they? It seems like you can only get into one class at a time?

I know I can do American High School or Keystone High School, but I was hoping to find something that would earn her a GA diploma to satisfy her dad & stepmom. Of course there is also the issue of cost. GVA is a free public charter school. I can't seem to find a similar program for GA high schoolers. We don't mind her being in the public school system. We just want her to school from home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Beth

Isn't GVA supposed to go to 12th grade next year? I'm not sure. I don't know of anything else, that is free for Georgians. You could pay the $$$ and do GVA as an independent. I tried that for my 3 elem. aged kids for a very short time... it wasn't a good fit for us... impressive, but not what we were looking for. Sorry I don't know more.... hope you find something.

......also..... I think GVA is full right now (met their quota or whatever)..... you would have to sign up to start next year.

Right now GVA uses K12 only, as far as I know, and they only use it through grade 8. I'm actually paying independently for my son to use K12. We were using it before GVA even started and I had no desire to put him in GVA. It's my 15 year old that I need to place. We have some time as she doesn't really want to leave school. I'm going to wait until we talk to her therapist. Thanks anyway.

I know of a few schools that are accredited for homeschoolers and you are still qualified for the hope scholarship. Veritas Schools goes through high school and is a 1 day a week school. http://www.veritasschools.com/

Faith Academy is only for ages 16 and above, I believe you go in and pick up your work, then return it 2 weeks later. http://www.faithaca.org/Georgia/index.html

Hope this helps,

Marcie