Menu

I could really use some help! Taking nat. progest cream. desperate!(and a vent)

I had a full check up with GYN and was given a clean bill of health. Again, for the second year in a row. I have had pre-period spotting for two years that drives me absolutely MAD. Also, my bOOks

hurt about 2 days prior to the spotting. I get this about 3-5 days prior to me starting. I feel bloated and crampy. Awful. It is scant, not really even enough for a pantiliner. The cramps are horrible.

I have already tried IUD(big bust), and this visit I told him I ws trying the Emerita Natural Progesterone. Which he is fine with. I started it 2 months ago. In the meantime, he wrote me a prescription for Micronor

(the mini pill that only contains Progesterone. I cannot take anything with Estrogen).

We discussed Novasure, but because my only main complaint is the spotting and my flow being a little heavier on day 2, he doesn't think it is a good idea to move forward with that. I have a very healthy uterus, and great ovaries. I get my period like clockwork, ever 25-26 days. Lasting about 5 days. If I had fibroids, or was bleeding so heavy I couldn't leave the house, that might be different. But I don't. Since Novasure is permanent, if it fails there is a chance I may end up with a hysterecomy. Which he thinks

would be a shame. He isn't opposed to doing it if I told him I wanted to have it done. But I am not ready for that yet, There HAS to be other ways to correct this darn spotting! I did have iron def anemia, but it has been corrected by staying on three iron pills a day and my levels are fine, and even my ferritin levels are up.

I am trying to avoid having to start the Micronor. But I don't think this Nat Progesterone is working.

It was GREAT the first month. Could have been a fluke.??

In September

I started with 1/8 tsp 2X a day(morning and night)

from days 12-26. I only spotted for ONE day, and that was on day 27 and got my period on day 28. I thought WOW, this is GREAT! My period was a tad bit lighter.

So I call Emerita, and the person said since I got my period on day 28, to start the cream on day 14 and use it until I get my period. Well, I used the same dosage, and it was a disaster. I spotted starting on Day 20 of my period! So, 5 days of some very small spotting but it is the cramps that are the worse! I started my period in Octiber on

Day 25, which is when I normally get it.(getting it on Day 28 the month before was like HEAVEN!)

So THIS month, the lady at Emerita said to start the cream on day 10. Use 1/8 tp 2X a day still, but on day 19 up it to 1/4 tsp 2X a day. Well here I am on day 23 and I started spotting, AGAIN

and I have cramps AGAIN.

Somebody please give me some advice here. I have been dealing with pre-period spotting and cramps(which are so much worse when I am spotting then when I actually get my period), for two years now.(I will be 44 in a few days).

How do I get rid of this spotting and cramping and sore bOOks??? There has to be SOMETHING????

Am I not using the correct dosage on the cream? Why did it work well the first month and these next two I am back to where I started?

Is there a BETTER Natural Progesterone cream out there???

Am I the only one who is dealing

with this sort of thing?

I have been checked from top to bottom. The only thing I have not done is have my

hormones checked but my GYN says that those tests are not accurate. And I cannot afford the one Dr. Lee recommends.

I can deal with my period. Really. It is 5 days and gone. I don't want Novasure because my periods are not the issue. If I JUST got my period, then I would be fine with that. But this pre-game stuff is just getting SO OLD!!!!

GYN says it is def a drop in progesterone. Ok, I don't understand biology that much, but when exactly does it fall in your cycle?

I am going crazy, I hate getting only 2 weeks and a few days from the end of my last period before this stupid spotting starts.

I have never, ever had any female problems. Ever. Until two years ago when all this started.

I can no longer afford a naturopath. I am on state insurance so I cannot see a regular MD who deals with natural progesterone using a compounding pharmacy.

Please, is there anyone out there who has had this problem and was able to get rid of their spotting successfully without using

synthetic hormones or any surgical procedure?

or am I just doomed to deal with this until menopause?????

FTR, I have hypertension so if anyone recommends herbs, I have to be careful which one.

I would like to give natural progesterone a chance, but maybe I am not

doing it right, or maybe there is a better brand. Or I am not using enough? Or to much?

Or, maybe someone has had FABULOUS results on the mini-pill???

ANY help would be appreciated. (And my DH would thank you to!)

Have you tried taking Ibuprofin about the time you get the spotting and sore booKs? It has helped me w/ spotting and flow issues. Your symptoms seem to me like pre-menopause. I was always 5 days and 32-35 day cycle. For the last year though, every 24-28 days, and lasting about 8 days (pre and post spotting issues). :grouphug:

Yes. Well, sort of. I am afraid of taking to much ibuprofren every month for 5-6 days out of the month. I take the minimum (well, the most I have taken is 1,000mg per day) and even that eases the cramps. Doesn't make them go away. But isn't it dangerous to take to much Ibuprofren like that every single month?

My GYN says I can take up to 2400 mg!!! Wouldn't that kill your liver if you took that every day for 5-6 days every month?

Because Ibuprofren is one thing that does ease my cramps a little, but I am afraid to take any more. But if I can do so safely, maybe that will help the spotting as well.

Thank you.

Have you gotten a post-ovulatory hormone panel? If your progesterone is low, the OTC cream probably won't do much for it. My SIL needed the equivalent of a 30 day dose every day to get her at the bottom of the normal range. You may want to contact a compounding pharmacy to find out about other options.

Have you gotten a post-ovulatory hormone panel? If your progesterone is low, the OTC cream probably won't do much for it. My SIL needed the equivalent of a 30 day dose every day to get her at the bottom of the normal range. You may want to contact a compounding pharmacy to find out about other options.

No? Never heard of it. Who does this? My GYN? And I do not even think we have a compoundng pharmacy near here. And what do they do?

No? Never heard of it. Who does this? My GYN? And I do not even think we have a compoundng pharmacy near here. And what do they do?

They can custom-make bio-identical hormones. (It sounds expensive, but it's actually very inexpensive because there are no patents and such involved.) Basically, you get a hormone panel, and then custom-make a hormonal supplement to get your levels into a good range. Compounded formulas can give you all the benefits of progesterone in exactly the dose you need with none of the side effects of synthetic progestins.

Here are some places to start looking for a pharmacy near you:

http://www.iacprx.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lookup_survey

http://www.project-aware.org/Resource/Pharmacy1.shtml

http://www.ecompoundingpharmacy.com/

I would give them a call, explain your situation, and see what they say. I've had compounding pharmacists spend 30 minutes on the phone explaining things to me, and none of them have ever made me feel rushed. They can usually recommend a dr who is familiar with bio-identicals and will order labwork for you.

I tried Vitex, and I thought it made my stomach upset but found out that is not what was causing it. It is safe for HTN.

I don't know if it is safe to take with the Progesterone cream or not?

And to the other poster, I did find a compounding pharmacy near me, but I can bet that any Dr. they refer me to will not take my insurance(we get state insurance). I am going to call anyways.

Peri-menopause really, really sucks.:tongue_smilie:

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but I've got low progesterone. I was formally diagnosed with a Reproductive Endocrinologist after a series of miscarriages but I'm sure I've had it all my life. Your doctor can test your progesterone levels if you want a clear diagnosis. Information about that follows: http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/luteal-phase-defect.html

As an alternative to a blood test you can see if you have a short luteal phase (this would be the phase post-ovulation) with a Basal Thermometer and charting temps for a month. A short luteal phase indicated by a temperature dip too early post ovulation will be a sure indicator of low progesterone. If you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility, via the library, you'll learn enough to know for sure what's going on re: progesterone levels.

A good quality b complex vitamin can help with progesterone levels and I would do that if you aren't already. B6 is the big thing if I recall but I like balanced supplementing so I did it with a complex. Vitex could help balance things too possibly. I think from my experience and time spent on infertility boards most women with progesterone issues would need hormonal help as well. I did not use that type of natural progesterone but I did not have luck with the natural forms when I tried them--it's been a while. An Integrative Medicine doctor I trust told me he prefers prescriptions for progesterone regulation in a cycle because he finds controlling dosing and so response with the natural forms much more difficult. I don't do either but I need to get back to it.

Edited by sbgrace

And to the other poster, I did find a compounding pharmacy near me, but I can bet that any Dr. they refer me to will not take my insurance(we get state insurance). I am going to call anyways.

Hopefully it will work out! A lot of typical GYNs don't use bio-identical hormones, but a lot of them do also. (It's not just alternative drs.) The referrals I got from our compounding pharmacy were drs who take typical insurance plans. It would be great if they do happen to be in network for you!

BTW, I second the recommendation for Taking Charge of Your Fertility. A really great book that I wish every woman had the opportunity to read.

I am going to get that book. I sure hope it helps! I guess in the grand scheme of things, I really don't have it all that bad. All of my woman parts are healthy(as a matter of fact, my GYN told me even at my age, 44 as of Thursday, I am healthy enough to have a baby. HA HA HA HA. NOT). I have never had a polyp, or cyst, or fibroids. Never had trouble getting pregnant. Never had an abnormal pap. Never had ANY women problems ever until about 2 years ago when this whole spotting thing started.

So I know other women have it much worse then me. I just hate being in pain(cramps), and being bloated(just call me the spotted cow) 3-5 days before my period, with scant spotting.(really not even enough for a pantiliner)

But I have pretty normal periods. My 2nd day is a little heavy, But I can go out and do my errands as long as I can be near a bathroom at least every 2 hours. Other then that, my cycles are like clockwork, every 25-26 days. And last about 5-6 days with the last 2 days being very light, or just spotting.

I just hope it doesn't get any worse!!! Praying for early menopause. My mother was 48.

Thanks!

I have taken a good natural progesterone and it didn't help.

Vitex has always made a difference for me. Remember to also take additional vitamins and supplements (I cannot recommend any as I am not an expert, but I take a good amount).

My periods arrived consistently every 21 days. The natural progesterone did nothing, but Vitex increased them to 26-28 days after only a month. Vitex (Chasteberry) always makes a huge difference. I would try that before you go down any other road.

Be sure to go to a natural health food store for your supplements. Ask me how I know.;)

I have taken a good natural progesterone and it didn't help.

Vitex has always made a difference for me. Remember to also take additional vitamins and supplements (I cannot recommend any as I am not an expert, but I take a good amount).

My periods arrived consistently every 21 days. The natural progesterone did nothing, but Vitex increased them to 26-28 days after only a month. Vitex (Chasteberry) always makes a huge difference. I would try that before you go down any other road.

Be sure to go to a natural health food store for your supplements. Ask me how I know.;)

Which brand do you suggest? Mg?

Can you take it with Nat Progest cream?

I did much better with natural progesterone cream after I adjusted how I put it on.

I read somewhere (I think it was in an updated version of What Your Dr. Won't Tell You About Perimenopause)...... Anyway, they said that the advice on most creams is that you can put it on your thighs and belly. Research has proven these areas to be less effective. The inner arms and wrists are more effective than those areas, but the absolute most effective are the "Books", chest, and neck. When I rotate between those areas only, the cream works much more effectively. If fact when the Books hurt, give them some cream.:001_smile: