Menu

AAS

Iamblessed

I had every good intention of starting this with two of my children but just can't seem to find the time to fit it in. Is it very teacher intensive? I am schooling 6 children and need something that will fit in easily. I'd like others opinions about this before I start. Once I start I'd like to see it through to the end :)

It's definitely teacher intensive, but you set the time needed. I usually spent about 20 minutes on a lesson. Some people set a timer for 15 minutes. You don't need to go longer than 20 minutes a day. Stop and pick up where you left off. If the students are at the same level and will likely stay at the same level, then it will take you 15-20 minutes a day. If your students are at different levels, you'll need to double that.

If you already have it, at least look through the book yourself to teach yourself the material. I used AAS levels 1-3, and I feel like it was excellent teacher training. We're using R&S Spelling now (not teacher intensive), but I can throw in things learned from AAS. ;)

Yes, it is very teacher intensive. I don't know where your priorities will lie in trying to decide what is best for your family. I could imagine it might be hard to manage with 6 kids - but that being said, We LOVE this program. We just started Level 2. Level 1 took us about 15 minutes per lesson. Now we do about 20 because I was slacking off a bit last Level with having my daughter write every dictation sentence. Now I am trying to focus on making that part of AAS work out to be her handwriting practice so we can make some improvements on it. For us, its the writing that takes the longest part now that I am trying to move her from using the tiles.

It is definitely teacher-intensive. We limit lessons to 10-15 minutes and have moved through the program fairly quickly doing it 2-3 times/week. We really love it, but ds was not considerate of my time and was consistently not focused during lessons. Because of this, we made a switch to R&S Spelling a couple of weeks ago. I'm very impressed with this program also, and it's totally independent. My preference for us is probably still AAS, but R&S is a very solid independent option too.

I guess if what you mean by teacher intensive as having to sit and go through it with them, then yes. But, once everything is set up, it is very open and go--one of the things that is so great about it. I would also add that it is very simple to follow. I feel like spelling is one of those subjects that seems to move very quickly around here.

I really love this program.

It probably is a little teacher-intensive. On the other hand, watching their older siblings practice phonograms can help the younger ones with their reading instruction, and won't necessarily hurt someone who's a little further back in the program. (You said you were teaching two out of six, but didn't give any ages, so I'm going ahead and assuming that at least some of those six are younger.)

It's also less time-consuming when you move from the tiles to actual writing. That said, part of the reason I picked the program is because my son hates writing... and he's loved switching to writing from tiles! Go fig.