Menu

Just found out we are going to spend a month in Maui!!!

LOVE Maui. You will LOVE it!!! Do some snorkeling. You will probably have dolphins by your boat as you go out, flying fish, sea turtles.

I'm sorry I can't give you more tips as I don't remember the names of the places I went. I have been a few times. Take some trips off the beaten path. Do your research!

I'm confident you're going to get some GREAT suggestions here.

Oh, if you love or even LIKE sushi, YOU MUST GET IT THERE. :drool5::svengo:

\

Visit the other islands. Pearl Harbor is a must see.

Maui is my very favorite place in the world, even though it's been over 10 years since I've been there. I spent my time on Kaanapali Beach, loved snorkeling at the Black Rock. Lahaina is a cool town. If you're in for a splurge, dine at Gerard's. I also loved Bubba Gump's, but that's a small chain, so you can eat at one on the mainland, too, but there are none in my part of the world. We took a day trip over to Lanai, and that was great fun, and we did several snorkeling trips and cruises as well. Bicycling down Haleakala is a big attraction as well as driving the Road to Hana. Have fun! How lucky to be there for a whole month!

Maui is my very favorite place in the world, even though it's been over 10 years since I've been there. I spent my time on Kaanapali Beach, loved snorkeling at the Black Rock. Lahaina is a cool town. If you're in for a splurge, dine at Gerard's. I also loved Bubba Gump's, but that's a small chain, so you can eat at one on the mainland, too, but there are none in my part of the world. We took a day trip over to Lanai, and that was great fun, and we did several snorkeling trips and cruises as well. Bicycling down Haleakala is a big attraction as well as driving the Road to Hana. Have fun! How lucky to be there for a whole month!

Hey, we ate at Gerards! I still have the menu in a scrapbook somewhere around here. I've eaten at Bubba Gumps, but it was the one in Hong Kong. And I agree with the Road to Hana. I wish we had done the bike ride - maybe next time!

OP, I'm excited for you. A whole month in Maui is pretty amazing! Have a wonderful time!

LOVE MAUI!!!!!!!!!! I just spent about a week there in September. Definitely go snorkeling. I saw an octopus at Ulua Beach. Makena Beach usually has big waves. Lahaina is fun and touristy. We ate at the Lahaina Pizza Company (or Pizza Factory) and it was GREAT! You must go to the Alii Kula Lavendar Farm up the mountain. It is amazing, and they have delicious lavender scones. Hana is supposed to be great, but I didn't make it up there. You can go to a pineapple farm and sugar cane fields.

Just be aware that the eat Spam all the time. It's on the menu of all the restaurants (even McDonald's!). It was the weirdest thing!

We will get to go in March for an entire month! I am sooo excited! Has anyone been there and have any great field trips on Maui that we could do?

We enjoyed hiking on the old golf course near Kapalua. Monarch butterflies everywhere, beautiful flowers, hidden vistas--truly enchanting. You can get a map from one of the activity centers at the Kapalua Resort (I think it's associated with that resort). Early morning or early afternoon would be a good time to go. Don't go right before sunset, or you'll be walking in the dark and that could be dangerous. Stay on the trails, of course, because of drop offs hidden behind trees.

Wailea Beach has a huge stretch of gorgeous sand and the surf was safe when we went. We stayed at the Noelani on the ocean and also went to the beaches just north of them. That was in December and IIRC, the beaches were a little coarser but nice. The one we went to had a reef that helped keep the swimming area calm. Make sure you swim at beaches that have lifeguards. Hawaii has a lot of tourist drownings.

The Aquarium is a must-see, IMO. Fantastic.

The Road to Hana is very twisty and sometimes a one-laner. Bring Dramamine if you're prone to motion sickness and know that you might be creeping along the road at times. It's supposedly gorgeous, but after two miles in, my son got extremely car sick. Ugh. You do not want to deal with that. LOL.

Have fun! It's an amazing place.